Chapter Thirty Five

Word Count: 1726

¬Abella

I can still hardly believe I'm standing in Alpha Grayson's home.

It's much nicer than I expected a Freedom Pack manor to be. Grayson has decorated it quite nicely, but the whitewashed walls and eclectic furnishings are the least of my concerns. He has brought me here to lay me upon a platter for Noah to come and collect. As much as I'm resentful, I should have known this wouldn't last long.

Clearly Noah has given me a head start. Now he's caught up.

"I'm Lexia," someone says from behind me, making me jump. Turning on my heels, I see that standing beside Grayson, it's a girl. Pretty, tall, blonde, she stares at me with nothing but kindness in her eyes. "It's nice to meet you Abella, even if we don't have much time to become acquainted."

"What's going on?" I question. I know of Lexia, as Alpha Grayson's mate. She is the Luna of this Pack, and of equal importance. I'm not sure why she has any interest in getting to know me.

Grayson and Lexia exchange glances before she speaks. "We are thankful you chose our Pack to take residence in, as we are close to Noah, and when he told us you were here, we were of course willing to help. So the fact that you are here works out perfectly."

"Noah is our friend. We would do anything for him," Grayson adds.

Despite the dryness in my throat, I swallow. I wish I could run away again, as reality sinks in. I assumed I would be able to return and everything would work out, that I got my freedom and now I have to face the problems I fled from. Now, this powerful Alpha and Luna are going to turn me in to my mate, and I'm not sure I want that yet.

"Just get it over with," I mutter. I expect to turn around and be lead into a car where I will be returned back to Noah's back, but instead, I'm surprised to see him emerge from a room I hadn't noticed was there in the first place.

He hasn't changed a bit, although he does look tired. Shadows darkened his under eyes, making the emerald colour only more vibrant. He's always dressed nicely, which must be mandatory as an Alpha, in at least some kind of dark button-up shirt. As frightened as I am by my future, I just want to walk up and brush those obsidian strands of hair from his eyes.

"You're okay," he breathes.

I look down at myself. "I suppose. I haven't been up to much, and haven't put myself in any danger. I haven't even noticed the absence of Stace, which I was warned about."

"I thought I gave you enough time, but at the end of the day, I promised I would hunt you down until I found you. So here I am," Noah tells me solemnly. He doesn't regret coming here though, taking me away from this life. He wants to return me to the life I had before...but what even was my life? Working for him, not knowing I had two mates? That's what I want at least.

"Let's go then," I say grimly.

We don't say anything, as we farewell Lexia and Grayson, and get into Noah's awaiting car. The silence continues into most of our drive, until finally Noah speaks up.

"So no reaction to being away from Stace?" Noah questions, looking at the road, but still glancing constantly at me. Loosening a breath, I think about the mark he created, and how he healed it. It will happen again, he promised me, if he is absent. Thinking about the amount of pain I was in makes me nervous, but I'm still not desperate to return to his presence.

"No. What does he want with me? I get he's meant to be the King, or whatever, but I can't be bonded to him for the rest of my life," I say.

I watch Noah bite the edge of his lip. "I know it feels confusing, but Daemons, or any kind of immortal hybrids for that matter are in serious danger here in this world. Stace is a King, but his main job is to ensure those in this realm are kept safe, and eventually, convince us all to come back. Because you're mated to a Sin, you're especially important to him."