t w e n t y-f i v e - that's totally not a word

stay here in bed, and we'll work it out
stay here for a little w h i l e . . .

▪️▫️▪️

For a moment when I woke up in the morning, I forgot where I was. My mind was convinced that I was curled up in my bed at home, with my mom downstairs cooking breakfast and my dad at work. A typical Saturday at my house.

I stretched out my legs and rubbed my face with my fingers, trying to open my eyes which weren't cooperating. I could just tell that it's still early in the morning – too early for me to be waking up since I usually don't move from my bed until almost lunchtime on the weekends. But I finally pried one tired eye open, and it was only a second before the other popped open too.

I lifted my head in confusion and glanced around the room.

Oh. Josh's cabin.

Right.

Sunlight dripped into the room through the windows, making it brighter than necessary. I have no clue what time it is, but my phone is currently charging on the side table and I don't feel like making a move to get it.

Instead, I rolled over. My eyes met with the sight of Josh sleeping right next to me.

He's lying on his back with his head a little off to the side, and his bare chest on full display for me. For a moment I watched him, completely mesmerized by the way his torso danced to his calm breathing pattern. Fascinated in the way his golden skin was glowing in the morning light. Giggling at his hair that just about brushed his eyelids in a curly mess.

He looked so peaceful. But I could still see the purple under his eyes and a worry line between his dark eyebrows. I frowned at that, thinking no one should be as stressed at this age as he is.

A minute later he stirred, and I quickly looked away so I wouldn't seem like a creep, watching him as he slept. I think I crossed that line a little while ago, though.

He sucked in a deep breath and his head turned to me, so I looked back at him and smiled lightly.

"Hey," he said in a soft, groggy voice. My smile widened at the sound of it.

"Hi."

He squeezed his eyes shut and yawned, making the cutest faces. "How'd you sleep?" He asked after he finished yawning. And I found it so sweet, because I don't think a guy has ever asked me that before.

"Really good," I nodded. "I kind of forgot where I was for a second when I woke up."

"Yeah, same," he chuckled, agreeing with me.

"I wonder what time it is," I mused.

At that, he reached his arm across to the table on his side of the bed and grabbed his phone. He unplugged it from its charger and laid on his back again, pressing his thumb on the home button to light up the screen.

"Seven fifty-one," he told me.

"What?" I sputtered out a laugh. "It's so early."

He just laughed at my response and put his phone back down. He yawned again, and loudly might I add, before lifting the covers off himself and getting up.

I ogled his body from the moment he stepped out of bed, as he walked over to his duffle bag in his navy blue briefs. His back muscles grew tense while he stretched for a few seconds, and he was clearly oblivious to my reaction. My eyes went from his back, to his arms, to his perky butt and I almost started drooling.