Pranks soothe the soul

▪︎▪︎▪︎

The weather was getting colder and colder, as mid-December was approaching. The first school term ends in two weeks and Christmas was coming, you could feel it in the air. The school grounds were covered with snow and as Gwen looked out of a window she could see Hagrid dragging a Christmas tree behind him. 

Gwen loved Christmas. She could still remember that one Christmas during her second year when Laurence had died. She had no desire to celebrate it. She thought it would be useless and more painful to go home to the big mansion of theirs and celebrate the holiday, just her and Sebastian.

But during those holidays the Hamilton siblings were invited to spend the holidays at the Weasleys. Gwen could still feel the sadness of the loss of her brother but she was invited into a family which helped her realize that she is never truly alone.

That Friday before dinner, Gwen and the rest of the Quidditch team had an emergency practice. Just last week Hufflepuff went against Ravenclaw. The Ravenclaws won.

Even though she felt sorry for Cedric and the Hufflepuffs, she felt happy for her and her entire team. Oliver had been working them hard when it came to Quidditch. They already met on the field three times that week and that Saturday they had to meet again which meant that the team had to leave Hogsmeade early.

Oliver also commanded them to run around the castle at least five times each day for them to get in shape.

Like that's going to happen.

Gwen was doing some of her homework after taking a shower. She tried to get some of it done so that she would have time to study and have fun during the holidays. Gwen finished her Vampire Summary and wrote her name on the top so she could pack it up. 

Gwen turned to look at Fred who was supposed to be finishing his Vampire summary. Instead, he was sleeping and drooling on his parchment. Gwen smiled and used the feather of her quill to tickle Fred's left ear. As soon as he felt the feather, he muttering nonsense under his breath and giggling. 

"Fred, Fred, wake up!" Gwen yelled, retreating her quill. Fred bolted straight up from his chair and looked around the room frantically. Gwen laughed when she saw a piece of parchment stuck to the side of his face.

"Why did you wake me?" Fred exclaimed. Gwen reached out and removed the parchment from his face and set it on the table.

"Well, dinner starts in about thirty minutes and you still haven't changed out of the quidditch uniform," Gwen explained as she closed her books and pushed them to the side. Fred cheered up with the sound of that. "Oh, yes! The epic prank! I'll come down in five minutes tops."

Gwen smiled as she saw him running up the stairs. "You don't see it do you?" Gwen turned around to look at Ginny. Gwen raised an eyebrow at her. "What?" Ginny raised her hands and moved closer to Gwen and sat down facing her. "Nothing, nothing. I've heard about the prank you're going to pull. Should I be worried?" 

Gwen looked at the female Weasley incredulously. "How did you find out?" Gwen asked in a whisper. Ginny let out a laugh. "You do realize that your best friends are the loudest people in the wizarding world?" Gwen nodded her head slowly. "You do have a point. But trust me you have nothing to be worried about, it isn't much of a prank and more like a spirit lifter."

"Spirit lifter?" Gwen nodded once more. "Yes as it lifts people's depressing spirits," Gwen explained. "I'll look for this spirit-lifting prank." Ginny waved goodbye and left the Common room. Just then Gwen heard shouts and laughter coming her way and she knew that the boys were coming.