The art of barely succeeding

■■■

"Merlin's beard. This is just useless!" Gwen exasperated as she failed once again to achieve any type of Patronus.

"You'll get there. You just have to keep trying." Professor Lupin reassured as he closed the case with the Boggart in it.

"Or I'll just keep on failing." Gwen continued as she sat on the staircase. Harry sat beside her and rubbed her back as a form of comfort.

"Don't give up Gwen," Harry stated. "You can do it, you're very intelligent and I know for a fact that you're not a quitter."

"Maybe it's because your happy memory isn't strong enough. Do you mind me asking what memory you're using?" Professor Lupin asked as he handed Gwen and Harry a bar of chocolate each.

"The day that I received my Hogwarts acceptance letter," Gwen replied, biting into her chocolate. "I don't want to interfere, but maybe you should use another memory. Since it doesn't seem to be working." Professor Lupin suggested.

Gwen sighed. "It's not that it's not strong enough. It's just these times aren't that happy for me. You know with the O.W.L.s and all the stress, and just problems in general. Everything is horrible."

"Come on, Gwen," Harry said. "You're being dramatic, it's not like you're going to die. And hey, that bruise on your forehead is fully healed now." Gwen glared at the young Gryffindor.

"Merlin's beard Harry. This is not.. a.. good.. time." Gwen stated through gritted teeth.

Harry's eyes opened wide and he moved away from her. "How about this. Count to ten, calm down, forget everything that is bothering you. Close your eyes and focus on a time when you felt true happiness." Lupin explained.

Gwen nodded. "Okay, I'll try it once again. If I don't manage, I'll just stop for tonight."

Professor Lupin smiled. "There you go. You, Harry, you stand right over here." Lupin placed Harry at a certain place in front of the Boggart filled case.

"Wand at the ready. Opening the case in three.. two... one!" Professor Lupin opened the case and Gwen finally opened her eyes which she closed to concentrate.

"Expecto Patronum... Expecto PATRONUM!!" For the first time, Gwen managed to form a silvery shadow. The grin on her face widened as she saw it working causing the shadow to shine brighter. She managed to keep the dementor away from her, though she wasn't able the fight it off completely.

Professor Lupin pulled the dementor back in its case. "FUCK YEAH!!" Gwen couldn't help but shout as her face lit up with triumph.

"Gwendolyn!"

"Sorry Professor, but that was incredible! I'm not a complete failure after all!" Gwen stated. Harry raised his hand and Gwen didn't hesitate to high five him.

"You were never a failure, to begin with, Gwendolyn." Professor Lupin reassured. "I think that's enough for today. We'll meet at the same time next week?"

Harry and Gwen looked at each other first before they nodded yes. "Great! And good luck on the match between Ravenclaw."

"Can I speak with you for a second, Professor?" Gwen hesitantly asked. Lupin smiled. "Well, of course, you can."