Dinner For Two

The same old streets. The same old apartment complexes. The same old stores huddled closely next to each other.

Oliver grew tired of it. This once so exciting and delightful area has turned into a monotonous puddle. Nothing was bringing joy anymore. Instead, Oliver's restricted routine appeared more like a cage to him. He didn't get to see the rest of the place he lived in other than the neighborhood and his way to work. It would just bring trouble if he bothered checking out more places.

Oliver felt caught in this repellent routine he couldn't get out of. Waking up, going to work, going home and then...it depended on the mood. It was the same every day. Once the blond woke up, he already wished to get back to sleep and not be confronted with what the day had to offer. All he did was quickly getting his work done and hope for not many inconveniences. Despite his intention of not getting involved in too many things, Oliver secretly craved for something new and exciting. He quickly pushed this kind of thought away though; there wasn't the chance for such to happen anyway.

Pulling his car into the apartment complex's parking lot, Oliver came to a halt and stopped the engine. He hesitated with exiting the car. Instead, he looked in the mirror and took a look at his emotionless face. He had dark bags under his eyes and his skin looked impure. He didn't remember the last time he throughout cared about it. Even now, he brushed it off as insignificant and slowly got ready to get back home.

Oliver always hesitated when getting home. It was unpredictable what was awaiting him there, and thus it gave him stomach ache whenever it was time to find out about it once again. Just like any other day, the blond opened the front door cautiously and found his way into his room as quietly as possible. The apartment felt abandoned. Nothing has been touched since he left this morning and there was dead silence. Nothing unusual, though. Oliver presumed Fukase to be off in front of his laptop again.

A relieved sigh escaped Oliver's throat as he got out of his working clothing. It wasn't too small, but still had a crushing feeling to it. He didn't feel right in a dressing shirt and tie. But then again, anything at work was a fake act anyway.

Just as he was about to unbutton his shirt, there was a knock on his door. Oliver's eyes widened and his head turned to where the sound came from. It was unusual for Fukase to knock whenever he wanted to enter, so this gesture confused the blond. He didn't answer anything to the knock and just waited until Fukase opened the door carefully, sticking his head inside. The redhead's face lit up when his eyes met Oliver's. Quickly, he found his way to his lover and kissed him gently. A shy chuckle escaped his lips afterwards and he smiled brightly. Oliver frowned. He couldn't figure out why Fukase was in such a good mood and the affection shown to him threw him off.

Awaiting the situation, the blond didn't move and just stared down his counterpart. Fukase didn't seem offended about it and just threw his arms around the blond's neck. He leaned closer and placed a few pecks across Oliver's face.

"How was work, darling?" Oliver still didn't say anything. "Come, I have a little surprise for you."

Fukase took Oliver by the hand and gently pulled him towards the living room. The blond followed in a confused matter. He didn't quite understand why Fukase was so affectionate. Particularly, he couldn't figure out what the redhead had prepared for him as a surprise. Fukase barely ever left the house, so what was there to get for him?

Oliver's eyes widened in surprise as he got in the living room. He was greeted by dimmed candle light and a set dining table. He froze for a second but immediately got led further into the room right to the table. Fukase held out the chair for him and Oliver set down bewildered. The situation took him enough by surprise that he didn't manage to process it at first. His eyes travelled across the table and candle stands. Everything was decorated fairly diligently.

Fukase took a seat across him and leaned his face on his hand with a satisfied smirk. He pointed down to Oliver's chest and just as the blond looked down, he noticed the plate in front of him. He faltered when he noticed his favorite meal on it. His confused frown was directed to his lover, who just chuckled as a response.

"What about you?" Oliver asked and looked through the other dishes on the table. There was so much food, but only his own plate. Fukase shook his head.

"I'm fine. Eat before it gets cold."

Oliver did as told. Despite the confusion, he indeed was starving and couldn't wait to savor a proper meal. He felt like he was melting when taking the first bites. The food was too good to be cooked by Fukase, but Oliver subtly appreciated the gesture anyway. A faint smile crept up his face. His body felt much lighter and more energetic just by this one little improvement of his living style.

"You're so beautiful, you know," Fukase whispered and smiled even brighter. Oliver hesitated with eating and looked to the side flustered. He couldn't quite believe Fukase's words, but there was a fuzzy feeling spreading in his stomach anyway. The redhead spoke it with such an obviousness that it almost sounded convincing. Oliver was embarrassed to receive such a compliment. He didn't get to hear these things often, so they always threw him out of his composed state of mind.

Silence grew between the two. Strangely, it was no uncomfortable one, but they both just continued staring into each other's eyes. There was something fascinating about it; Oliver couldn't quite figure it out. Fukase looked genuinely happy and it somehow cheered up the blond. His lover wasn't in a delighted mood often, so it was a special day every time he was.

"All of this must have taken forever," Oliver said eventually to break the silence. His gaze travelled across the room and he couldn't help but adore the work that was put into it. The light-headed feeling that suddenly spread in his body contributed to him feeling too entangled by the atmosphere. Fukase's bright and proud smile was contagious and Oliver had to smile as well.

"It was nothing. Not if I get to pamper my love a little that way." Fukase leaned over the table and pulled Oliver into another kiss. This time, the blond answered it. His smile widened as the warm feeling in his stomach spread even further inside of him. Even his fingertips were trembling from excitement to get to share such a moment with Fukase. Their intimate times have started to be less often this shy and gentle. It reminded Oliver of the beginning of their relationship – a time when that was common sense.

Deeply sunken into the kiss, both have forgotten about their surroundings. They only pulled away when their breaths ran short. With their foreheads leaning against each other, their eyes still locked and enabled both of them to remain like this a little longer. In this harmonizing atmosphere, Oliver felt completely at ease and as one with Fukase. His negative thoughts throughout the day have left and all that was left was the burning love he felt for his counterpart.

"I love you so much, Fukase."

They shared another few kisses and stood up. Leaning over the table became too uncomfortable. Instead, they enjoyed standing there in each other's arms, swaying to the rhythm of the music that quietly played in the background. They had to chuckle a little at this unfamiliar feeling they shared. It has been left out for so long, they didn't know how to react properly.

"I really love you too."

Fukase kissed Oliver's forehead gently, almost only brushing his lips across the rough skin. "I don't want anything to tear us apart."

Oliver hugged Fukase tightly and shook his head, accompanied by a short chuckle. "Of course not. That's not going to happen."

Both of them remained like this a little longer until especially Oliver's legs were tired from standing. They settled down on the couch and Oliver pulled Fukase closer. Being so close and in harmony with his lover filled his body with a comforting feeling. No pain, no negativity was left. All that remained was his affection towards the person he promised to always spend his life with. With that, tonight was the time to get reminded again to why he thought so from the first day on he got to know Fukase.