Chapter 20

The cool evening breeze was silently blowing across the veranda making me close my eyes to absorb it. I was sitting in the veranda with Ola. We were given a chance to talk to each other and settle things. But as I sat  there with him, I just didn't want to say anything.

I was enjoying the cool evening breeze and feeling so relaxed, I only wanted to remain like that. I had come out of work to see Nancy, and together we had come here. We came for a reason. But  that reason didn't matter to me anymore. My only concern was the soothing breeze and how I could take in as much of it as I possible could.

"Ola there's a lot of breeze here, I just want to relax and enjoy it."
" I usually come here when I want to rest." He said. I was happy that we were here together. I felt very calm and peaceful so much that  I could just close my eyes and sleep.
"I'm enjoying it a lot. I could sleep here all night."
"Would you like to sleep? I mean, I could open my room for you to relax before you leave." My eyes widened when he said that. I became immediately alert. I immediately sat up.
"And why would I want to do that?" I asked a little upset. To this he kept quiet and stared at me.
"Ola we are not that close enough for me to sleep  on your bed."
"What were you thinking, Tola?" He asked
"Nothing. Its just that one thing might lead to something else and... "

"And what? That I'd want to sleep with you?"
I kept quiet and didn't want to answer that question.
"If you think I would want to take advantage, you are wrong. I'm not that kind of a person." I gave him a smear look.
"And what were you planning to do? Run off again, like you did at the restaurant?" To this he sighed and looked away. When he turned, her observed me.
"My God, Tola? So you cannot forget that little incident?"
"And why should I? You made me look like a fool."
"So is that your annoyance with me?" I didn't reply, "And  is that why Nancy was making that comment?"
"What comment?"
"That you said you wanted to move on without me?" I sighed and closed my eyes again after another whirl of breeze slowly passed by. Yes, finally you know what's on my mind. I smiled triumphantly and opened my eyes and stared at him . 

"So moving on without me, were you thinking of hooking up with who, Lanre?" At the mention of Lanre's name I smiled. I was hoping he would mention him.

"And what if I decided it was my best option?"  I saw Ola stare at me like he was lost. Was he afraid of seeing me with someone else? Was he afraid of Lanre being the competition? He was short of words, but I had to speak up.

"Ola? As much as I love you, and still do, you were never there like he was." He became cold and folded his arms across his chest. I pretty much guessed he wasn't expecting me to say that.

"Lanre was just a friend. Someone I had no attraction for, but I was happy around him." I nodded my head. "Yes, he made me happy. But no matter how much he did, I was always thinking of you." I paused to see if he would say anything, but he didn't.

"Where were you all this time? Who were you with and what were you doing?" I waited for him to answer. Minutes passed and Ola had not uttered a word. I guess he was still shocked to hear me say I was happy with Lanre.

"I saw Lanre almost everyday more than I was even seeing Nancy, then. But each day around him always made me wish, I was around you."

"Ola with you, everything seems short-lived. You come and go like the wind. You go breeze in and breeze out. And you know what? I don't want that."

"Chai Tola? Anita really talk am say you be smooth criminal. Na now I know wetin she mean." I could only laugh when he said that.

"Look at how you mix everything up to make it sweet. You be real actress, Tola. So na so all of ona wey dey do Mass Comunication be?" 
"Abeg don't mind Anita. But that's  the truth, you can't deny it." I told him.
"And what is true about what you've just said, Tola?"
"After that first day when did I see you again? Wasn't it after you heard that I was always with Lanre that you came around?" I asked.