Chapter 61

I was devastated when the nurse told me that Dr. Abiodun would come back after three days.

"So am I going to be stuck in here for three days?" I asked her.
"Three days isn't too much. And besides, you'll be guaranteed good recovery. You'll be cared for in the right way." Her generous smile made me uncomfortable. It made me question  Dr. Abiodun's intentions for keeping me in the hospital.

"It's funny you know...," she said looking at me.
"What is funny?"
"You've been here only one day and he's treating you like a queen."

"Not him. If he knew how to throw me in jail right now, he would do it." To this the nurse frowned.

"You should think better than that, Mrs. Segun."
"You mean after he told me I wasn't fit to be in a hospital anymore?" The nurse walked away from me and when she got to the door and opened it, she looked back at me and said,

"Let me know if you need anything." When she left I looked around and sighed. I suddenly felt trapped and reduced to a hospital bed by a doctor who it seemed only had a plan to destroy me.

And I was certain he did have a plan,  but I had no idea what that plan was. However, I  was convinced he was making arrangements to take me to a psychiatric ward. Now all alone,  I had to endure the  discomfort of lying in a hospital bed for the next three days.

On the third day Dr. Abiodun came briefly into my ward and without a greeting, stared down at me. I ignored his stare and this made him leave the room. Then much to my surprise he came back in again. This time he was accompanied by two Policemen. What was this all about? Was he about to arrest me? I asked myself.

"Mrs. Segun? I am discharging you." He said, when he came up to me.

 A quick check of my pulse and he scribbled something down on a piece of paper and gave it to me. It was his phone number. Finally I was free to go. My left leg was lowered and I got up from the bed. I didn't feel anymore pain but I was worried about what to tell my father.

I knew I just couldn't go back and tell him I didn't attend the meeting.  I got my bag and was about to leave the room when he told the police officers something I could hardly believe.

"Officers, ensure that this woman gets on the next flight to Lagos." The Police officers nodded.

"Madame please follow us." Said one of the officers.

"What?! I shouted.

"Your time in this city is up, Mrs Segun." He added. I looked at Dr. Abiodun's face and saw seriousness. He was serious about sending me back to Lagos. I stood speechless and just stared at him. How could he do this to me? I had a report to submit and I didn't know how I was going to do that. I knew I couldn't go back empty-handed.

"I think my staying here shouldn't concern you. You run a hospital, not the whole Abuja." I finally managed to argue. He smiled at me.

"I know that. But for the first time in my life, I am doing something I've never done before. Officers, take her to the car and wait  for me." They nodded their agreement while I stared at him angrily.

"Who are you to do this to me?"

"Thank me I'm sending you back to where you came from rather than a psychiatric ward."

"I imagine you run this place like a psychiatric ward, don't you?" I asked getting more and more angry.

"I have better things to do than to listen to you. I'm sure you have people who will listen to you when you get back to Lagos."

 I was speechless and had no reason to continue arguing with him. I left the ward accompanied by the two Policemen. Dr. Abiodun came out too and went to his office . I was taken to the police car and  made to sit in the back seat. It felt like a repeat of the scene at Tolan Consultancy when Nancy told the two Policemen to take me away.