Chapter 55

I was determined to put up a lot of resistance as I had already decided I would have nothing to do with him anymore. But standing opposite him, I had started asking myself why I was tormenting myself with this idea.

Wouldn't it  be better to hear what he had to say before taking a final decision? I asked myself. I sighed as this approach wasn't what I wanted. But nevertheless I decided to try it.

"I guess you know my heart too well?" I asked him. To this he smiled at me.

"I only know, when the heart of a woman beats for a man, it never stops."

"Really?" He nodded.

" No, not even if she is determined to leave that man. Just like you want to do now." I smiled at him.

"It's why I dropped the ring so it won't remind me of the pain I suffered."  He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He then raised both hands and put them behind his head.

"Tola, I suggest you go back home. You still have a house, make it a home. I will soon be discharged."

"I'm glad you'll soon be discharged. But I don't stay there anymore. I stay with my parents."

"We still have a house of our own, Tola." He said.

"It's a house I saw blood, your own blood. What happened?" He looked at me with enlarged pupils. Then he became a little agitated and shifted in his bed in response.

"I saw you lying  in a pool of blood, Ola. What happened?" I kept waiting for an answer but he kept quiet. This wasn't supposed to be hard, but he was making it look so. Then suddenly he asked me about the money.

"You took a bag full of money, Tola. Where is it?" I was starting to get nervous because he was avoiding to answer the one question that I needed answers to the most.

"Ola I need answers. What happened in that house?"
"Tola where is the money?" I realized this could go on back and forth and so I told him,

"Well the money is not with me anymore." He frowned when I said that.

"Too bad. That was  your share of money for the selling of the  house."

"Then I might as well take  a very long trip." He folded his arms while holding my ring.

  "Here, take this with you."He held my ring  up and stretched his hand to give it to me. I walked up to him as he held the ring. "It's a reminder of the vow we took to be husband and wife. It's not over yet."

I looked at the ring and then laughed and shook my head.

"And what is funny?" He asked. My expression changed as I looked at him. I couldn't believe he had forgotten about what happened at his office when I came to see him.

"Tolan Consultancy...."
"What about it?" he quickly asked.

"I remember coming there looking for you. You almost killed me when you pressed my neck."

"You almost shot me in a company that belongs to both of us. Tola and Ola Nigeria Limited. That's why you have the name Tolan. And under direct video surveillance."

 Without saying another word, I slowly took the ring from his hand. I walked away from him and headed for the door.

"We still have the other house, Tola. A fresh new start  is what we need. You and me." I stopped and turned around. He was asking me to do the impossible, to take him back as if nothing happened.

"I'll think about it." I said, I turned again and was about to go out when he said,

"This has always been your problem Tola. With me you are unforgiving."  I stopped and turned around and looked at him.
"Unforgiving?" I asked, as I walked up to him, " If  I was that unforgiving, I would have left you on the road to die when you were thrown out of a speeding car."