Chapter 57

"So is your relationship with your mother going to change?" I looked surprisingly at my father when he mentioned my mother. I had completely disregarded his advice to go and see her in spite my promising him I would do so. Sitting opposite him, I realized how much the gap between me and my mother had increased.

"How is she, dad?"
"Can she be happy knowing her only daughter is avoiding her?" He shook his head, " I don't think so."
"You are right, dad. I should go and see her."
"That's what you've been telling me. Now you've lost one person already-your husband."
"I don't know. Maybe he will decide to come back soon."
"Well if he doesn't come back, you might soon be needing your mother's attention...,"
"For what, dad?"
"She has that feeling she will soon be a grandmother."
"Dad! And where did she get that feeling from?"
"You tell me. I mean during your trip you may have had way too much fun and didn't use precaution, perhaps."

"Nothing like that happened. I'm still legally married. And besides, both of you didn't bring me up that way."

"Your mother can't be wrong." He said. 

I thought about that moment with Ola in the spare room when I sat on his laps and we made love. My eyes widened as the thought of it, made me think about the feelings my mother was having. Could this one adventure result in pregnancy? I sighed and quickly shoved the thought aside. But it was strong and had started to sink deep into me. But to fight it, I opened the bag I had brought with me from my trip and took out the gift I had bought for my father.

"Here dad, this is for you."I said, handing him the gift. It was a watch. He took the gift and immediately opened it.
"A watch? Interesting."
"I just thought you might need a new one since you never change the one you wear." He smiled as he wore the new watch.
"Looks good, thanks. I now have a watch I can use when I go out on business dinners and parties."
"And for mommy, I bought her her usual perfume." I brought it out and was about to give it to him when he gestured me to stop.

"Tola, that you should give her yourself."
"Dad, please."
"No, try and see your mother before she accuses me of spoiling you."
"Ah daddy, you also do not want her wahala?" He laughed.
"Well, everybody wants peace." I sighed and got up.
"I guess that means I'll have to go to my office, then?"
"Let's get back to work, Tola."
"Thanks dad." I walked up to the door.
"Tola?" I turned and looked at him. "Make sure you go and visit your mother." I nodded.
"I will, dad. Thanks for reminding me."

 I opened the door and went back to my office. I was back to work and got so absorbed with it that even at closing hour, I stayed on until my father passing by my office knocked.

"Come in."
"Tola you are still working?"
"Yes dad, but I can go home now since you are also going home."
"Okay, so are you coming to the house with me?" I looked at my dad and knew he wanted me to go and see my mother. I couldn't do that as to my mother, it would mean we had somehow planned it.

"Dad, I'll find time to go and see her. Going with you she might think we planned it."

"Okay, then. But do actually find that time." I got up and followed him out of my office until we got to our cars. I said goodbye to him and went home. When I got to the house and went in, I had barely put my bag down when my phone rang. I took the phone out of my bag and looked at the display. It was Ola.

"And what does he want?" I muttered. At first I was a  little reluctant to answer the call. But on second thought I decided to hear what he had to say.

"Ola, thank you o as you leave key for me." I said, when I answered the call.
"I told you that I would leave. But, you decided to play the seduction game."
"Ola you see how you are looking for trouble?"
"So as I call my wife I don cause wahala, abi?"
"Since you dropped the key, you should have also dropped my phone number. So why are you still with it?"
"Aren't you my wife?"
"Yes I am, but only on paper, as I see it."
"I never knew that."
"And how would you know?" I asked.
"I know that even if it is only on paper, you are still my wife." I sighed.
"Fine so what do you want, now?"
"Did you read the note I left with the key?"
"And what about it?"
"Get ready, because I've sent someone to come and pick you up."
"You what?!" I shouted.
"Don't you want to come out?"
"And to do what?"
"Didn't I say I'll make it up to you in the note?"
I kept quiet. He knew quite well I hated surprises so what was he up to? Just then the doorbell rang.
"Ola hold on, there's someone at the door." I went straight to the door and opened it.
"Hello madam I was sent to come and pick you up." I took a quick look  from head to toe at the young man standing at the door.  He looked like he had just been employed.I asked him who sent him.
"And who sent you?"
"Madam it's Mr Segun. He said you are his wife on paper." My eyes widen.
"What did you just say?!" I shouted. I immediately banged the door shut and got back on the phone shouting at Ola. But for all my shouting he only laughed.

"Just get dressed and stop the ranting, okay?" After a few more minutes talking with him, I went back to the door and opened it and told the driver to wait for me in the car. I changed into something elegant and then went out. Once inside the car, I started asking the driver questions.

"So what is this about?" I asked.
"I don't know. I was only told to come and pick you up."
"And where are you taking me?"
"Ah madam oga told me not to tell you anything...,"
"And so you want to keep it a secret?" I asked interrupting him
"Madam, I wish I can tell you.  But oga strictly warned me not to say anything. But don't worry, we will soon arrive at our destination." I sighed and relaxed.

Soon we arrived in front of a house and a gate man appeared and opened the gate. The driver went in with the car and stopped. He came down and opened my side of the door and when I came down, I followed him up to the front door of the house.  The moment he knocked I heard footsteps coming towards the door. When the door opened, I saw Ola.

"Welcome, Tola." He said, smiling. I stood in the door and refused to go in. He took the keys from the driver and tipped him and the driver left. 

"Ola why are you here? And what exactly is this place?"
"Why don't you come in?" He asked me. I went in looking rather frightened. As I went in, I looked around the house, comparing it to the house in which I was staying. It was much bigger and more spacious. I turned around and looked at him as he closed the door

"I told you I'll make it up to you."  He then came forward and took my hand and led me to the sitting room.

"Have a seat." He told me. As I sat down he placed his arms around my shoulders.
"You should love this place, Tola." I stared at him.
"Ola what are you talking about?"
"Back at the hospital, I told you let's start all over again. Have you forgotten?" 
"So?"
"So, this will be our new house." This was very impressive and I could jump up, hug and kiss him. I am sure any woman in my position would do just that. But I simply looked at him questioningly.

"It's a nice house, Ola." I said looking around.
"So what do you think? Would you like to make it home or you prefer the other house?"
"What are you talking about?"
"We live like we used to. We stay here and use the other house for our weekends."
"Just like that?" I asked getting up and walking up and down.
"Is there a problem?" He asked walking up to me.
"Ola there are so many things that must be settled before I can think of agreeing to all of this."

"In other words, coming here can wait?"
"What do you think?" I asked.
"Well if you have issues you want to settle, I can wait as long as it takes." I looked at him seriously.

"Ola can you hear yourself when you talk?"
"Have I said anything wrong?"
"So you look me like say I be fool? Do you think you can impress me with all of this?" I asked.
"Tola just a few nights ago you said you always keep your best friends. And then you tried to impress me. Now I'm making it up to you and I'm a fool for doing so?"
"No go that side Ola!"
"And why not? You impress me, me sef I impress you. Why my own dey become wahala?"

"Ola no find my trouble o!" I was angry and pointing a finger at him. 
"Tola, I am serious. If this is not what you want then let me know. I have no time for jokes." I saw the look on his face and knew he was getting angry.
"Ola what do you want from me?" I asked, with an air of seriousness.
"And should I answer that question?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Now you can't pretend nothing happened these past months. You faked your death, you have a son by some other woman. And you want to shove all of that underneath the carpet?" 

He looked away at the mention of his son. I guess it was subject I shouldn't have touched. Looking at him I had a feeling that perhaps it was something he may have wanted to take the time to tell me.