Chapter 63

I wasn't happy about my trip to Abuja as it didn't go as I had expected. On top of that, I was sent back to Lagos like an illegal immigrant being deported out of a country. The annoyance that had built up inside me due to my failed journey was immense. And I took this annoyance to the office the following day.

Once I got to the office, as is my usual habit, I always went to see my father and tell him good morning. But on this day, I was nervous and on top of that I had to submit a report I didn't write. This made going to see him difficult.

And so I went directly to my office and sat down at my desk thinking of how best to approach him. I put my bag down and brought out the file and went through it while I kept thinking of something. Then an Idea struck me. I got up and boldly went to see my father. I didn't carry the file with me.

When I got to his office and knocked on the door, it was slightly open.

"Come in." He said.
"Good morning dad." I said as I entered.
"Morning Tola, when did you get back?"
"Last night." I replied sitting down opposite him.
"Good. I hope the trip was okay?"
"Yes, it was short but good for a change."
"Change as in, you might be considering a transfer?"
"If that was possible, I wouldn't mind." My father observed me as he leaned back on his chair.

"Tell me Tola, how far away from your mother are you going?" I didn't think this was about my mother he was talking about.
"It's not about her, dad. It's about having a new challenging work experience that's all."
"Or perhaps to stay far away from your husband and start a new life alongside someone else?"
"Dad I haven't thought of it that way."

"I'm sure you'll soon think of it that way." He looked at me as I struggled hard to say something.

"Did you find someone that sparked your interest?" Asking me that question the one thing that came to my mind was to tell him about Dr. Abiodun. I decided to try.

"Well I did meet a doctor, dad. And...," I took a deep breath as I struggled  to find the right words, "I found it strange we both bare the same surname." I looked away as I said that.

I really didn't want to upset him. But knowing him, I knew he took everything with a calm attitude. He got up and walking up to the window, looked outside.  I knew  he had something serious to say.

"Tola I sent you to represent this company in Abuja."
"I know that dad."
"Now I know from experience that you find doctors in hospitals and not in business meetings." He turned and looked at me.

"To the best of my knowledge, I didn't receive any phone call telling me you were sick or that you had an accident or something.  So it's quite strange you met a doctor that bears the same surname with you."

"So what are you saying that doctors cannot be invited to such meetings?"

"Rarely have I seen that in my years of going to the same meeting in Abuja."

"Well doctors I am sure, are in a sense, still business people."
"Tola the business of doctors is to save lives. That's what they are good at. And by the way what is the name of the doctor you met?" I didn't think he would ask me that question. But he did, and as unprepared as I was, I had to answer the question.

"Dad, if I remember correctly it was C.K Abiodun. Charles,  to be precise."

There was a dead silence in the room so much that I held my breath. My father took a deep breath and went to sit down. He gave me the strongest look I had ever seen him give me. It got me worried he would send me out of his office. But he only smiled at me.

"Dad is there something I should know?"
"So you finally found him?" My eyes widened instantly when he asked that question.

"Dad, what are you talking about?" I asked getting up.
"You found your brother."
"Dad, no!" I shouted, "No, dad you can't do this to me. You can't!"