Chapter 21

I've never had that sense of being defeated and worrying so much about it. I would always compose myself and challenge it. But here was that moment in which I knew, defeat was going to rear it's ugly face. And I wasn't prepared to challenge it. As we went inside the sitting room, both men saw us and looked up.

"Ah, my son, so have you taken your decision?" Ola's father commenced.

"After a long consultation, the conclusion should be good." My father replied. 

As we stood before the two men, I looked at my father and he looked at me. He must have probably noticed my worry and was trying to assure me everything would be alright. We stood facing them while Nancy sat beside them. It was like facing a panel of judges.

 Ola had to speak and I was only hoping he would say something that would make my visit less embarrassing. I would leave his house knowing, it didn't work out between us. But I wanted to leave with dignity.  

"So my son what have you decided?" Ola's father didn't want to waste time. He wanted the matter to be settled as quickly as possible. But my father stepped in with a twist I didn't see coming. I was a little distracted, when he asked me a question I least expected.

"My daughter, why are you still angry with him?" I stood firm and looked at him. As I looked at him I noticed Ola's father also staring at Ola. 

"My son, why are you taking her anger so seriously?" Ola's father asked him. Both of us stood speechless and only turned to look at each other briefly.

Yes, I was still angry with the man I loved, and he was taking my anger so seriously enough to want to end our story. I felt so relieved and elated, I wanted to hug my father. He had saved me from what was about to turn into an embarrassing situation.

"Tola, you see how your mother is behaving? After she will accuse me of spoiling you. Where did you get your anger from? Is it not from her?  Tell me what this young man has done that is hurting you to your bone that you cannot forgive him?"

"And you my son, why are you taking her anger so seriously? If you have done something to hurt her, why not apologize? It's like you are only putting more fire. You are not quenching the fire, you are pouring more petrol."

I heaved a sigh of relief knowing that I wouldn't go home disappointed. I was angry with Ola, but I was taking my anger too far, and it was spoiling my chances of really knowing him. In my mind, I was thanking both fathers repeatedly for their timely intervention. But it didn't end there. Ola's father spoke up again.

"Anyway there's still enough time for the two of you to make a final consultation." he said

"So both of you can go back to the veranda again. We will wait." My father said.  I looked at Ola and he looked at me. I turned and faced Nancy and she nodded. Soon we were back on the veranda sitting down and staring at each other, wondering what had happened.

"Tola, how did your father know you were still angry with me?" He asked. I kept quiet as I didn't even know that myself. 

"I have no idea," I replied. "And how did your father know you were taking my anger seriously?" Ola looked at me and then placed his hands to his jaws.

"Sincerely speaking, If I know where he pulled out that card he played,  I would have told you." Evidently there was something both men were doing, that we as their children didn't know about.

After all, they gave us life; and they were very good friends. Could it be that they wanted to  cement their friendship by having their respective children get married to each other? 

Sitting on the veranda with Ola, I finally realized, that the two of us, were about to become the product of perhaps a carefully orchestrated family marriage arrangement.