Chapter 58

We were standing and facing each other, and my words had made him turn and look away. This bothered me quite a lot because in spite of how much I loved him, I realized I never really knew him.

"Ola I love you but I really don't know you. I never have, and that's because you are too evasive. One day you disappear, the next day you come back and pretend as if nothing happened." 

He instantly turned and stared at me. I shook my head as he did so. "Ola, I'm not after another man. But I can't live like this."

"So what are you saying, that you want to call it quit?" He asked. I instantly got angry with him.
"Ola is that an insult or what?!" He widened his eyes in surprise. Then quite unexpectedly he came up to me and passed his left arm around my waist.
"Sorry, I can see how angry you are." He gave me a kiss as if to placate me. "I guess I have some explaining to do, don't I?" He asked looking into my eyes.

He removed his hand from my waist and led me to sit down. He then went and brought a bottle of wine and two glasses. He opened the wine and poured it into each glass and gave me one.

"You have a settled life, Tola. Father and mother were by your side. They still are."
"So what has that got to do with what you want to tell me?" I asked.

"Simple, you faced no family conflicts. I had to face the battle my father was facing. He started Segun Industries as a small company. When he met your father, they shared ideas, made connections and finally put the company on the map. It's a multi-million Naira business now. But his brothers were out to take it away from him and with the help of your father, he devised a means that allowed him to stay in control." 

He sipped on his wine  and then continued.

"Segun Industries is a company with five divisions. Each division is a company of its own which is run by him, his three sisters, and half brother." He looked at me as he talked like he wanted to be sure I was listening.

"Tola unlike you I had to grow up fast. Thanks to my father, I learned a lot about running a top-level business. Segun Industries is head of all the five divisions, but it is administered by another company, Tolan Consultancy, and all thanks to your father."

"You mean my father owns Tolan Consultancy?" I asked

"No, the idea of setting it up was his. The  pressure on my dad to give up Segun Industries was too much. He talked to your father and your father gave him the idea to open another company to administer Segun industries. Basically Tolan Consultancy does the paper works, accounting and everything administrative but under contract from Segun Industries itself."

"And what does Segun industry do if all the paper work is done by Tolan Consutancy?" I asked a little confused.

"Segun Industries gets all the contracts, whatever. It passes the contracts to Tolan Consultancy which verifies the validity of the contracts by passing it to another company, K-securities." I slowly nodded my head when he mentioned K-securities.

"Isn't that your Miss K?"  He didn't answer but only raised his eyebrows. I guess by doing so he meant to say yes.

"Wow Ola, " I giggled,"You are in business with your lover and who knows, perhaps the mother of your son. And you want me to listen?"  He didn't answer but stared at me. I took a deep breath.

" I thought dressing up elegantly and coming here, I was going to enjoy the evening with you. But you bring out skeletons to spoil the moment. Ola can you for once do something that will not mess up my day?"

"Tola, you wanted answers, I'm telling you a story that has the answers you are looking for. What were you thinking, that it would be a fairy tale?"