Chapter 22

Once again we were standing in front of the two men that had given us life. I was going to share with them the good news of  my decision. And Ola was about to communicate to them, his proposal to me. We had good news to give the three people who were waiting to hear from us. But looking at them, I realized  they had already anticipated us.

On the table in front of them  was a bottle of champagne and five glasses. They were poised to celebrate our decision, after hearing what we were about to tell them. It was as if they already knew what we had decided. Ola's father didn't waste time in speaking up.

"So I hope this time your consultation went well?" He asked us. We kept quiet and looked at each other. This was a decisive moment and communicating our decision, meant the world to these two men.

"Ola, my son, being the man, why not tell us what you've decided?"  Ola's father asked him.
"Yes baba. Well I proposed to her. I mean..to be my wife." He replied. There was silence as each men and Nancy, observed us. Their stares got me thinking, I and Ola might have to  go back and fix some issues again. I didn't want that, I just wanted everything to end now. But my father came in with a last minute spoiler.

"My daughter, have you sincerely forgiven him now that he has proposed to you?"  I looked at my father and remembered why we were sent back into the veranda the first time. Thinking of that, I knew where my father was going. And just as I thought, he said it.

"Because once you accept to be his wife, there will be a lot of forgiving to do. He will make you angry sometimes and in most cases you will not even  like to forgive him. But you must try and learn to forgive, is that clear?" He asked me. I nodded.

"And you my son, since you have made this proposal, if she accepts it, then she will be your wife. It will be your responsibility to care for her. She will annoy you sometimes, but don't put more fire. Try and settle it with her in a loving  manner. Is that clear?" Ola's father asked him. Ola nodded and looked at me. I knew then that I had to say something. 

But I couldn't .

 I could only  raise my  hand up and show them the ring. Showing them the ring it seemed , gave  me the courage to say what I wanted to say. I went ahead and said it.

" Dad, I accept his proposal. I have decided I will be his wife."  There was enough silence after my words to hear a pin drop. Nobody said a word making me feel there was still something that had to be fixed. The two men looked at each other and then looked at us.

"Is that all, have you concluded?" Ola's father asked. I and Ola nodded. He looked at my father and they both looked at us.
"Well in that case this calls for a celebration. " He concluded. He got up and opened the champagne and poured into each of the glasses and passed the glasses round to each person present.

"So finally, after much consultation, they have agreed to get married. My friend what is left is to fix the day of their wedding, abi?" He asked my father.

"Yes, but  let's talk to their mothers first and then agree on a date. You know we cannot decide anything by ourselves." My father replied.

"That is correct. So Ola? Tola? We will talk to your mothers and fix a date for the wedding, is that clear?" We both agreed and then we all sat down to a quiet evening. Nancy came  over and  sat beside  me and nudged me.

"Baby, so your journey don start o." She said smiling at me.
"Nancy, abeg." I was happy but in a sad way. Nancy noticed it and called me out into the veranda to talk to me.

"Tola no be wetin you want?" She asked surprised I wasn't happy.
"Nancy, abeg."
"Aha, which one be abeg. I no understand you again o."
"Maybe I'm just too excited." I told her.
"So excited you are sad?"
"Am I sad, Nancy? So you don turn to Ola wey dey put petrol for fire?" Nancy laughed.
"You dis girl. See you?" she said