Chapter 56

Nancy and I left for the UK a few days after I had talked with my father. We spent three weeks  there and came back. When it was time to come back to Lagos, I felt a strange reluctance to leave. I had had the best time of my life away from home, and far away from the problems that were bugging me.  I was happy, and for once, totally free from being worried about my relationship with Ola.

When Nancy and I came back from the UK, I was really exhausted. Three weeks had come and gone quite fast. But we had such a good time there, that I had already planned a second trip for Christmas.

Coming home, after three weeks, I was about to live a different life. I wasn't going to be the same person I used to be anymore. I was going to be more focused and more independent.

My dad was right when he said, one day could change anything, but three weeks, everything. And everything in my life was about to change, starting from my relationship with Ola. Coming back I knew he would be in the house.

While I wasn't afraid of that, I kept thinking about how we were going to live with each other. I went home after Nancy and I went our separate ways. I got home towards evening and on opening the door, was met with a great surprise.

Everything in the house had changed. In fact, the house looked different from when I left it. Ola it seemed had given it a face lift as I saw that the furniture's had been changed.

I went upstairs to the bedroom and even there, he had changed everything. But he wasn't in the house. Where was he, and where did he go? I sighed as I dropped my bag. I removed my shoes and sat down on the bed for a while before getting up and going downstairs. When I went down I noticed the front door open and Ola coming in.

As he came in and closed the door, I could see the bandage that went down from around his neck holding his right arm. I had a feeling he was still in pain.

"Ola where did you go?" I asked. He looked at me like he wasn't expecting to see me.

"And when did you get back?"
"A while ago."
"So how was your trip?" He asked, as he went to sit down.
"Relaxing, free from the stresses of these past months."
"It was a good thing you traveled."
"That's because  I had already planned to make the trip." He smiled at me.
"Tola you had other plans for making that trip."
"And what other plans did I have?" I asked, sitting down opposite him.
"Plans to leave me and go very far away. Just to avoid me, perhaps." I sighed
"And would I have come back?" He kept quiet.
"I still have a house to come back to. But I see that you made quite some changes."
"Yes I changed everything." He looked around the sitting room, "everything."
"Interesting. So what other changes are there?"
"Not much, except that I won't be staying in this house." Instantly I frowned. Why was he telling me he wasn't going to stay in this house anymore?

"Oh, and where are you going, if I may ask?"
"Don't worry. Don't bother yourself." He got up, "Tola, I'll leave first thing in the morning."

He left me and went upstairs and into the spare room and closed the door. I bent my head frustrated, knowing that if he walked out of my life, I would never see him again.

Sitting down all alone, I had to take a decision; allow him to leave, or go upstairs and talk it over with him. I didn't want to believe that between us, it was all over yet. But it got me thinking that he might be up to something; maybe another of his games.

Fine Ola, if you have been playing games thinking I'm a fool, I'm going to do the same too, I assured myself. I got up and headed straight for the spare room. I knocked and went in. He was sitting on the bed. I went to sit down by the edge of the bed and stared at him.

"How is your arm?" I asked.
"Getting better. The doctor told me they had to do surgery to pull out a bullet."
"And any idea how that might have happened?" He looked at me as if he was wondering why I was asking that question.
"I have no idea...,"
"Ola, I saved your life when you were thrown out of a speeding car." I interrupted, "if someone is after you and knows you are still alive, they'll want to know who saved you. And if they find out it's me, they will come after me."

He stared at me like he was confused. I put my hand on his leg and left it there.

"What would you do knowing someone is after the life of your wife?" I shook my head, "In this condition, I don't think you can do much." He sighed and closed his eyes.

"Ola before your very eyes it could happen. And you'd be powerless to defend the woman whose hand you took in marriage. Tell me, is this what you want?" He didn't answer my question.  From the look of things it seemed obvious that he was worried. I got up and crossed my left leg over his laps and sat down. I then placed my hands around his shoulders.

"Ola look at me." He opened his eyes and I moved forward and gave him a kiss and then stared at him.
"Ola, when you told me to stay away from Lanre, I told you that I always keep my good friends. You're my husband and best friend. I'm keeping my husband and best friend." He smiled almost to the point of laughing.

"I know what you are doing, Tola."
"And what am I doing?"
"You are exploiting a defenseless man, and all because he has a handicap."
"And where's the handicap? This one arm? You still have the other one." I said, taking his left hand and placing it behind my lower back.  "You can still use it."
"I don't know what you're doing but...," he paused. I moved my lips closer to his. Then in a whisper I asked,
"And just what am I doing?" My voice trailed off as my lips inched closer to his barely touching it.  I started feeling his left hand going up and down, slowly caressing my back, as we started kissing. I wasn't ready for this and to say the truth, It wasn't part of my plan.

But I had worked him up so much that I too got entangled. Soon we were making love. When it was over, I got up and went into the bedroom feeling a little embarrassed.
The next day I woke up and decided to see if he was still sleeping.

I knocked on the door of the spare room and went in. The bed was empty and he wasn't in the room. I went downstairs to the sitting room and looked around. There on the center table was an envelope.

I slowly walked up to it and took the envelope. I opened it and found the keys to the house. There was also a written note. I took it out and read it.
Thanks for a wonderful evening. I hope to make it up to you soon. Ola.

I couldn't believe that in spite of all my efforts, Ola still decided to leave. I had failed to make him change his mind. I failed to convince him. I sighed as I sat down. How could he do this to me? I asked myself.

I read the letter again and placed my attention on the word Soon. This meant he might come back, but after how long? I put the letter back into the envelope and went to prepare myself for work. I had to go and see my father and tell him I had come back.

After taking my shower and dressing up, I left the house and went straight to the office. On reaching the door of my father's office I was greeted by one of the staff. I greeted her back before I knocked on the door and went in.

"Hello dad." I greeted as I entered his office. He was as usual going through a file and looked up when he saw me.
"Tola when did you get back?"
"Yesterday."
"And you decided to come to work when you should be at home?"
"Dad, I wanted to keep myself busy as I had nothing to do in the house."
"And how are your friends. I mean the ones you are staying with?" I sighed.
"Dad, actually I'm staying in my own house." He leaned back on his chair.
"Tola, but didn't you say you were with friends?"
"Yes,but that was because I wasn't sure about staying there."
"So you decided to tell a lie?"
"No dad. I mean, I wasn't sure I'd stay there since Ola after being discharged from the hospital would go and stay there. But after I came back from my trip, I met him in the house." I frowned at this point and my dad guessed why.

"I know. You tried and it didn't work."
"He left early this morning, dad. I'm not sure I'll see him again."  My father sighed his disappointment at this turn of events in my life.

"So what are you going to do now?"
"Do I still have a job?"
"Of course."
"Then I'll immerse myself fully into my job and forget about everything else."
"Are you sure about that?" He asked

"Dad, what can I tell you? I need to focus on something. And work seems just what I need."

"Sounds good. I mean, if you won't tell me you are taking another three weeks off."

"I know dad you said it. Three weeks can change everything." My father nodded.
"So what changes am I expecting from you?" He asked.

It was a question for which I had no answer to. I didn't know what changes would come or was about to surface. I only knew Ola leaving the house, was the first change.