A promise

Part Fifteen

The day of the hearing dawned. Renuka found out what had transpired and sent a car for the gang to come to the court. Bodyguards were hired through a company she trusted.

Randhir was a bit miffed thinking his mother didn't have faith in him to protect Sanyukta.

" Actually main yeh sab tumare liye kari hoon beta," she declared.

"Kya? But Mom..," he trailed off.

" Sanyukta tumari future hai Randhir," his mother said so calmly as if she was telling his four year old self that the sky was blue.

He looked at her stunned.

Renuka caressed his cheek.

" Ma hoon na," she reminded him.

He blushed slightly as his mother looked past him and indicated Sanyukta was approaching.

Sanyukta solemnly approached her.

"Ma'am I really appreciate all this lekin," she trailed off.

Renuka shook her head.

" I am no stranger to you Sanyukta. Remember you are just as important to me as Randhir," she declared.

The two women hugged. As they did so Randhir's heart swelled with pride and love for both the women in his life.

They pulled apart.

Renuka held her by the shoulders.

"Now let's get the guy who tried to hurt you behind bars," she declared.

The truth rang amongst the dream team. When they all saw Sameer with an injury on his face. Not only that his gait was unsteady as if he had lost his senses. They exchanged knowling smiles. Their friend had placed the nail in the coffin. Sameer Mittal was done for. He would pay for his greedy ways.

Sanyukta bravely gave her testimony. Then she looked at Sameer Mittal straight in the eyes.

She paused briefly as if to say," You will never dare cause harm to a girl." "Let this be a lesson that girls aren't weak."

Her dupatta that was gifted by Renuka swayed as she confidently exited the courtroom. She thought she would quiver or hesitate. However instead she defended herself and the truth.

For everyone that came to support her the words she had spoken had struck a cord as well as her confident walk with her head held high.

" Your honor Sameer Mittal had the audacity to attack me not just once but twice. First he pushed me off a high ramp because of his greed for money. Money that was hard earned by my family. Second attempt to kill me so he could walk out of here a free man."

Sameer then had sealed his own faith by blurting out," I only wanted to scare you so you wouldn't testify and take your.."

He realized his blunder too late as he stood horrified as his own lawyer and everyone else in the court room seemed to be staring him down.

Randhir, Kastuaki, Parth, Yoyo and Sahil met Sanyukta outside after the fateful testimony.

She had closed her eyes before their arrival to let everything sink in.

She realized she was surrounded by her friends. She opened her eyes and smiled. She took turns hugging them. When she came to Randhir time stopped still for a moment as each assessed the situation their own way.

Then she pulled him closer.

"You duffer! I know why you did all this for me. Now you asked me to promise something. Well I cannot promise to always be safe but I do promise to try my very best to never run away without you," she declared.

"Sanyukta are you saying what I think you are saying?," he asked.

Their friends had left them alone to talk by this time.

She nodded.

" I love you Sanyukta and I promise anytime you feel like running away, I will always hold your hand in good and bad times," he confessed.

She then leaned in and sealed their promises with a kiss.