eye spy

18 years ago

18 years ago

The Hargreeves children speed walked to the dining room once they heard the ringing of the dainty bell that signalled that it was time for dinner.

Slowing to a normal walk as she got to the bottom of the stairs, Sophie entered the dining room arm in arm with Allison. Once they reached the table, they unlinked their arms and walked over to the backs of their chairs. On the right hand side sat Allison, Klaus and Ben, who had a book folded under his arm. Luther sat opposite Allison, and Diego, Sophie and Five filled up the other side of the table in that order. Vanya sat at the other end of the table, opposite their father's place.

Sir Reginald strode into the room and stood by his chair.

"Sit!". He ordered the children.

The scraping of chairs on the marble floor rang in Sophie's ears, she hated that sound.

Silenced filled the room whilst everyone ate their food. Allison and Luther kept giving each other looks across the tables. Diego was carving the initials of his siblings into the arm of his chair. Sophie was teasing Klaus on the opposite side of the table by playfully kicking him every now and again. He smiled at her antics whilst simultaneously rolling himself a joint under the table. Vanya was watching each of her siblings, simply observing them. She noticed Five hadn't touched his food, he was staring at his father.

A sharp bang caused Sophie to withdraw her foot from Klaus' calf and stare at the brother sat on her right. All eyes were on Five.

"Number Five?" Reginald acknowledged the boy.

"I have a question," Five tilted his head and looked at his father smugly.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during meal times, you are interrupting Herr Carlson". The elderly man waved his knife in the air.

Five pushed his plate away from him. "I want to time travel".

"No."

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said". To prove his point, Five disappeared from his seat and jumped to the left hand side of his father, "See?".

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of freezing water and reappearing as an acorn". Sir Reginald didn't seem phased by Five's outburst, he did have a really bad habit of underestimating his children when they wished to leave the house.

Five put his hands in his pockets, "Well, I don't get it". Sophie could tell it pained him to admit his lack of understanding, she sniggered into her drink.

"Hence the reason why you're not ready".

Five looked down the table, he spotted Vanya shaking her head at him. Sophie on the other hand, was staring at her brother, she wished she had telepathic abilities so she could tell him he would regret doing anything stupid.