Chapter 9

Declan

As soon as Alex mentioned a running race, Declan and everyone else knew what Alex was planning to do. It was pretty obvious, in his opinion. Though Declan worried about how Alex was going to keep her Meyarin abilities in check so that the Freyans didn't find out about it, but so she could still win the race. However, his thoughts were interrupted as Avery answered to her issued challenge. "I accept. It's not like you," she shot a look at Alex, "have a chance at beating me anyway. When?" she asked, standing up. Declan didn't notice before, but now that it was pointed out, she most certainly looked like a runner. Platinum-blond hair that fell in waves down her back, stormy grey eyes that seemed to pierce her prey on the spot, and a tall, athletic build with long, slim legs.

"Tomorrow, at the beginning of lunch. Meet us at the running track," Alex said, placing her hands on her hips. She turned around, starting to gesture to their little group to move, but before she could start walking away, Avery's arm shot forward and shoved Alex in the back, making her tumble forward and sprawl out on the ground, and even Kaiden (to his horror) wasn't quick enough to catch her this time. Alex quickly recovered and got back onto her feet. "Oh, that's it. I knew there was something about you," she hissed before executing a punch to Avery's midsection. Her fist connected with it's intended target and Avery doubled over, clearly winded. Alex relaxed, or feigned relaxation, Declan could see, and therefore she was ready this time when the other girl kicked her leg at Alex's; trying to make her fall again. However, Alex was too quick, and she jumped neatly over Avery's leg before pinning her to the wall with her arm across the older girl's throat. (Let's just say that in this school, the teachers don't really care about what the students do, so basically everyone can kinda do whatever they want, including fighting and whatnot. Talk about a bad school.)

Avery's eyes narrowed. "At least you weren't lying about being able to fight," she said, squirming under Alex's grasp, "I just want to see how you'll put up in a race." She grinned, before leaning in real close to whisper in Alex's ear, "and just so you know, Kaiden is going to be mine." She pulled away, realising Declan was the only one close enough to have heard other than Alex, whose face was rapidly paling. She was so shocked that her grip on Avery released, and her arm fell limp beside her. Kaiden immediately rushed over to her, with Jordan and D.C. behind him. Avery had sauntered away, but not before turning her head around and saying, "see you tomorrow!" way too cheerfully for anyone's liking.