Chapter 17

Jordan

Evelyn yelled the last words, her voice raw, and slumped to the floor, her face full of grief, anguish and anger. Her light brown hair acted as a curtain around her face, preventing people from seeing the tears streaming down her face. Alex, who had freed herself from Avery's minion during Evelyn's 'let it out' moment, had joined Jordan and the rest of the group as they began to process in shock what Evelyn had just said. Car accident? Prosthetic leg? Dead brother? On purpose? If what Evelyn said was true, then Avery was a much viler person than they all thought. But why would someone want to kill someone's brother in a car accident? Not to mention Evelyn's prosthetic leg; no wonder she always wore long pants even though it was nearing summer. Jordan shook his head and glanced over at Evelyn, who was now being comforted by Alex. Jordan watched as his friend got her to stand up, go to the bathroom and wash her face. He watched as she came back out, tears dry, and as she went back to her previous position of sitting on the floor. He stood there, his eyes unfocused, as he remembered Luka's death. He understood what Evelyn had been through, what she was going through. He knew the pain of losing a sibling; even though they had both lost theirs in entirely different ways. Her brother killed in a car accident; his own committed suicide.

Without knowing what he was doing, his body taking control, he found himself slowly walking towards Evelyn, like someone approaching a scared, shy animal. He found himself crouching down to where she sat, and he vaguely saw Alex retreating to give them some space. When she looked up to him, hazel eyes questioning, he didn't think. He sat down next to her and told her everything about Luka. It was funny how it normally took months, even years to build up the trust to tell someone everything about his brother, and here he was, just spilling it all out to some stranger he didn't even know. And Evelyn sat there, listening, absorbing his words up, as he told her things it took him years to tell others. He didn't know why he did it, but he just wanted to help someone else in their mourning. They sat there, for the whole lunch, sharing their stories about their siblings, comforting each other. It was only the bell that signified the end of lunch rang that they stood up and went to their classes. It didn't really matter, as Jordan, Alex and Evelyn all had the same class next: History. After that class ended (it wasn't really that exciting), Jordan and Evelyn met up with D.C. for Geography. The three of them worked together in a group to create a 3D contour line model, and their ended up as the best of the class, due to their (mainly D.C.'s and Evelyn's) great collaboration on the project.

As they exited the class, they found Alex waiting for them just outside. She waved them over before turning to face Evelyn. "Hey," she said, "do you wanna hang out at my place for a bit if you're free? Just so you can get to know us a bit better without any... interruptions." She finished, glaring over at Avery, who was too busy reapplying make-up in front of her locker to notice.

Evelyn took the hint and quickly nodded. "Sure." Alex and her five friends had been a mystery since the day they had arrived, and she had been wondering about them ever since. This seemed like a pretty goo opportunity to her to find out a few things. So, she followed Alex, Jordan, D.C. (Delucia, as she insisted on being called) and Bear to Alex's car, where Kaiden and Declan were already waiting. When they saw her, they looked in mild surprise but didn't say anything. Alex offered to give her a ride in her car, a seven-seater SUV, but she insisted on following their car from inside her own, so she could get back to her own house easily.

"Alright!" exclaimed Jordan. "Looks like we're good to go?" he questioned to Alex, who simply nodded and looked back at Evelyn to make sure she was following. She nodded back and gave the brunette a tentative smile, and Alex started slowly driving out of the student carpark, with Evelyn close behind. 

OK, so first things first: I'm sorry everyone, for not updating for so long. (At least, long by my terms.) I was busy trying to complete some really overdue assignments because I had been putting my writing before my schoolwork. It also didn't help that the assignment were really long, impossible tasks. I'll need to stop procrastinating from my schoolwork and I'll have to learn how to balance writing and homework (ugh). I'm also sorry if some stuff doesn't make sense, but to me it does, so just let me know if you don't understand something, 'kay? Anyways, enjoy!