●☆Chapter 24☆●

The day of the trial was everything I hoped it wasn't going to be. I woke up on the morning of it panicked and scared, Lachlan was already awake huddled over on the other side of the bed, looking absolutely terrified. That was the only thing he showed though, fear, because he spent most of the morning with his head buried in my side.

I was terrified too because we had to face the person neither of us wanted to see again, as well as the person who I hadn't seen or heard since we were rescued. Dylan and Simon. Lachlan had physically gagged when I mentioned his name, even though I had spat it out.

"Are you ready to go?" Lachlan whispered, barely able to look up. I nodded slowly, feeling sick and nauseous at just the thought of being in that court.

"Yeah..." I mumbled, looking towards the door. Rob and Preston were driving us and they were sitting in the car outside in the driveway, they were mostly coming for comfort. Lachlan sighed heavily but tugged on my hand, leading me out the door and to the car.

My lip trembled when the two of us slipped into the car and Rob whispered hi, the two of them unsure what to say. I was alright with the silence because I physically didn't think I could cope with someone speaking to me right then, even Lachlan.

The trial was the scariest thing I had ever experienced in my life, even scarier than being locked in Dylan's bedroom or hearing Lachlan's screams echoing throughout the house. Rob and Preston had to go and sit in the stand while Lachlan and I were waiting in a separate room to be called up to the witness box when the lawyers presented the evidence.

We hadn't been involved in the process of evidence gathering, hell neither of us knew what he was going to be charged with, but some part of me was glad because I wanted to block it from my mind, forget it ever happened, pretend that everything was alright.

While we were waiting, Lachlan didn't speak. He seemed completely numb, he was staring at a wall blankly with no movement, no sign of life until he breathed. He was terrified, I could tell, his lip was trembling and he was on the verge of tears.

To my surprise, it wasn't Lachlan or I that was called to the witness stand first, it was Simon. Simon, wearing an orange jumpsuit with handcuff on, being led by a prison guard. It was the first time I had seen him, really seen him, since the attack and it made me realise just how much he looked like a kid.

He was white as a sheet, shaking, and even though I could see him trying to steel himself, keep his face clear of emotion, every now and again his mask dropped and I saw the fear in his eyes.

"He's taken a plea deal." The officer standing behind Lachlan and I informed us. "Testify against him for a lesser sentence although at this point I think he might get away with house arrest for a while. Sorry mate but there isn't much evidence for his attack on you."

I nodded slowly, but somehow I didn't care. He had saved our lives and undoubtedly our hearts, so as long as Dylan got locked away for as long as possible then I didn't mind. I knew he wouldn't try it again, not when he had seen where it could get you.

My mind was blank for most of his testimony, as soon as Simon started speaking my mind blocked out his words because his voice sent me right back to that dark street. Lachlan was trembling, he was clearly listening as Simon explained what had happened.

I was up first.

I stumbled into the witness box, swore that whatever I was going to say was true and the questions started but all I could see was his smug little face. He was completely as ease, leaning back in his chair and although he was wearing the same orange jumpsuit as Simon, hands and ankles cuffed, he looked like he didn't have a care in the world. He thought, no, he knew he was going to walk away a free man.

"Do you recognise this man?" I nodded. "What's his name."

"Dylan." I whispered. I didn't know his last name.

"Is he the man that attacked you and your friend, knocked you out and kidnapped you?" I nodded. "Is he the man who raped you?"

White dots flashed before my eyes and I almost fainted but I steadied myself with the side of the witness box. Somehow I managed to nod but I didn't remember doing it until much later, even though all I could see was him.

"Do you remember this happening?" I opened my mouth and then closed it again, gathering my thoughts. Finally I shook my head.

"I remember the first time but I ran away and I remember him attacking me in a classroom at school but he knocked me out." All I could hear was the roaring in my ears, I didn't know how much longer I could keep answering these questions.

"And what happened at his house? You were in his bedroom, correct?" I nodded.

"It's all... a blur... I remember waking up and talking with Lachlan... and sleeping a lot... and I remember hearing Simon and Dylan yelling before Simon stormed out. And then Dylan dragged me to the basement. And I remember Lachlan screaming." There were tears running down my face now, I felt physically sick.

"Do remember the police arriving?" Slowly, shakily I nodded.

"They were talking to me, saying- saying it was safe now." They were discussing something but I didn't hear it. I was numb.

One of the officers took my hand and led me away, back to where Lachlan was. He was crying too and he hugged me tightly, whispering shakily in my ear that it was going to be alright before the officer took him away.

I didn't hear him testifying.

I didn't hear him describing everything he had been through in horrific detail.

I didn't hear him come back into the room, I didn't hear him burst into tears the second he sat down.

I didn't hear the hear the lawyers closing speeches.

What I did hear was the silence as the jury left the room to discuss the evidence to come up with the verdict. They were gone for two hours. Lachlan leaned his head on my shoulder, tears falling silently down his face and I squeezed his hand, trying to feel something, anything.

I did hear the jury come back into the courtroom.

I heard their discussion of the evidence.

I heard the verdict.

"Guilty on all counts."

And I heard his scream of anger, even though the walls.

"I'll get you back, I swear it!"