Wounds Reopened

Axiom Academy
Russia

Alaina's pov

"You sure you are alright? You seem to be lost." My friend's voice reached my ears to which I sighed.

"I am fine just a little tired." Truth to be told there were several assassination attempts targeting my father- Maximus Storm and to neutralize most of them, I had suffered injuries and also lost a considerable amount of resources. I could not understand till how long I could hold it off....father was safe till now because he had no idea about the dealings behind his back.

I had tried warning him and the result was Valace Strom coming back to Russia. Father was surrounded by spies and men that were paying attention to each of his moves thus it was getting a difficult day by day in understanding who was a spy and who was a well-wisher.

"Tell me when you feel like it" she eyed me suspiciously but didn't confront me at the moment. And with that we parted our ways in the school, last night's ball was grand but today brought reality in front of my eyes again....my family was not safe...not till Calliope was sustaining those nefarious schemes in her head.

I was walking aimlessly, crossing the hallways- where I collided with someone.

"Hey, are you ok?" A masculine voice asked while his arm shot out to steady me, leaving soon as if my touch had burned him. I looked up to meet the crystal blues of the person- Ryan.

"It's fine" I replied sourly, whenever I try to avoid people, something or the other gets into my way.

"Geez ,no need to be so rude princess, it was partially your fault too". I gaped at him. Audacity of this boy.
"Alright, then stop bothering me." Just accept it for god's sake or I might break down since its getting too much.

His eyes narrowed as he frowned. "How come I would know that-"

"Ryan, just drop it."another person interrupted our fighting contest.

I saw a dark mist passing Ace's face but when I looked at him again it was like the darkness was never there.

And with that I parted my ways with them and reached towards my psychology class.
"privet studenty (welcome students), to the new session of psychology", Miss Lily's voice was lined with so much enthusiasm that it made me wonder what was there to be so happy about?

And with that, she started the subject which I listened attentively. I loved psychology, it makes one capable of knowing people without really knowing them, just look into their habits and you know the person perfectly yet today my mind kept drifting time from time. The bell rang and the students packed their belongings.

I was picking up my things when a tap on my shoulders alerted me.
"Hey I am sorry about the incident,I didn't mean to offend you." it was Ryan, his eyes holding a sincere apology and something more which I couldn't get a grip on.

I sighed "No, I guess it was me who overreacted, it was my fault."

"So why don't we start over, are you up for a coffee ? My friends would be there too and you can bring your own people along....your cousin Calliope, we have extended an invitation to her as well. Consider this getting to know each other better."

............................................................

Right now we were seated at the front tables of Starbucks. Cally was sipping her 'Rich and custardy' coffee while we talked about various things and surprisingly it felt real good to hang out with the boys. Although they have invited me with much effort I could clearly see that their main focus was on Cally.

"So Cally ,you live with Alaina?" Ryan asked her. He sure knew how to keep up a conversation even though some of his questions seemed a bit personal, edging close to an enquiry.

She nodded while sipping her coffee. "My parents are mostly abroad or busy in their business, we don't communicate much. Even though saying this my mother does call me every second day but my father only contacts when in becomes essential. It was his decision that I shall come back to Russia."

"Oh, but then don't you miss your family? I mean why choose Axiom academy to study in, why not more prestigious foreign institutions, or do you and Alaina are going to have equal partition of the Storm empire and you are here to take your position?" Tyler's words were so brutal that all the people present were numbed for a moment thinking about the possibility.

In all reality this was the truth and the ones who have never thought as such were forced to think that Cally disliked me because of these intentions. At the huge table none of them looked at me other than the woman herself who glared for a moment before getting up and leaving with Ryan also following her out.

The one who was unabashed and not affected by all the chaos looked at me intensely.

"Some people make your life better with their absence..... don't they Alaina?" the way Ace said those words made a chill run down my spine.

...................

Storm Palace
Russia

"No please, no" a soft voice cried with agony ,the pain and anguish in it clearly evident.

"Years of hardwork and treachery has gone into vain just because of YOUR fucking existence. You destroyed my dreams ,I will destroy yours." A cruel thunderous voice bellowed, followed by a series of sobs by it's victim.
He was a sadist, a maniac who was not aware of limits.

A little girl of ten was bound with shackles, tears flowing down her cheeks freely with tremors racking her whole body. "I-I am s-sorry". Her small voice resonated.

The chains around her throat and legs were opened with a clank."You want to rule this -the empire which I have fucking created with my sweat and blood, then defeat me and do it" his rough hands harshly pulled her on her feet , handing her a wooden stick.

"I-I d-don't know how to f-fight, pl-please, I don't w-want to." her hoarse voice called.
"YOU DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CHOICE" he roared.

A scream which was dulled by the sound of thunder woke up Alaina from a nightmare- her scream. She sat up blinking her eyes frantically, a droplet of tear landing on her cheek followed by others.

She stood with wobbly legs reaching towards her bathroom. Her legs didn't support her but she didn't care.

Turning on the shower she stood underneath it, letting the cold water soak her body. Years-it had taken her eight years to make her capable to cope with these monstrous nightmares but then with that man's return, those hellish nightmares returned in full force too.

Nature had its own way of expressing emotions and right now it seemed like it was expressing rage and grief with how the thunder loomed over the omnipotent grey sky and roared with thunderstrikes. Spherical droplets one by one fell into the lap of mother earth making a sad symphony play on the soil.

Her tears turned into sobs and sobs into screams which she muffled by putting her fist into her mouth, it was like a dagger was pushed though her chest and being painfully twisted. Death would be less painful than experiencing them again and again.
Because they were not just nightmares ,her memories were haunting her.