Chapter 3

I groaned out loud, for the second time in two days. An annoying noise forced me to wake up before I wanted to. But this time, instead of pleasant Nurse Xanthe waking me up, a blaring alarm on my phone demanded that I prepare for: You guessed it, work.

I groaned for a second time before rolling out of my comfy position in bed, smacking my alarm on the way out. My black cat Sir Muffin raised his head from his comfy sleeping position to look at me and the alarm in contempt. His yellow eyes, and my green eyes, casting a death glare.

After confirming that it was indeed 7am in the morning, I made a mental note "track down whoever invented this evil time that should be reserved for sleeping and murder them". Look at that, I already have a to do list!

My mood improved slightly as I was sitting in bed debating whether or not I can get another 15 minutes sleep when the smell of bacon and eggs wafted into my room.

Realising that I was actually rather hungry, I finally made the decision to get up and prepare for the day. I'd already missed two days of work after all. I really couldn't afford to miss more.

After dressing in a pair of skinny jeans and a nice T-shirt, I made my way downstairs to find Rose pottering about the kitchen creating those heavenly smells.

"Good morning sleeping beauty." She said when she glanced up and saw me. I groaned internally for what felt like the millionth time since I woke up after the attack. I was never going to live this down. Ever.

"Would you like some breakfast?" She continued when she didn't get a response.

I nodded, already drooling a bit as the best sister in the world finished up her cooking and set everything on two plates.

"Rhys has left you a note about the statement you need to give to the police."

Instead of answering her I got up and gave her the biggest hug. Still without saying a word. Putting all my feeling of how much she is appreciated, feelings that I would never be able to put into words no matter how hard I tried. Into the hug they went.

"I love you too." She responded, returning the hug.

After breakfast was done and cleared away, I read the note from Rhys that instructed me to come to the station at 4pm after my shift.

Rose offered to drive me but I declined. It was early summer and the mornings was simply too beautiful to use a car. I set out to walk the 20 minutes to work.

"OK." I thought to myself. "Maybe morning aren't all bad." Until another small voice in my head added "Except you should be SLEEPING."

I chuckled at the argument in my head. Having accepted long ago that I was slightly crazy.

I was quite enjoying my own company while walking along before I started to notice the sun was really glaring today. I can't just put my sunglasses on either, stupid "fixing themselves" eyes. Note to self: Buy some new sunglasses.

Maybe I should have taken that ride with Rose.

In the end I had no choice but to look down at the pavement and walk as fast as I could to get to the shade of work. Making another mental note to get new sunglasses after work.

I arrived at the little café I'd been working at for the past three years called The Primary. It got it's name because it's built on the ruins of an old primary school.

Immediately upon entering, my boss John, signalled for me to come out the back with him.

Feeling rather nervous and half convincing myself that I was about to get in trouble for missing the entire weekend of work I followed John out to the small 'office' out the back.