Chapter 29

"We have a problem." Jamie said hurriedly and quietly as he came up the steps in a graceful yet fast manner.

"Alex's mother is here to get him and somehow she's already aware that an Original vampire lives here. So you're going to need to act like a Royal for a bit or we'll have a bloody battle on our hands."

I felt my stomach clench in fear at what Jamie was saying. "Is there any way to send her away?" It was a stupid question but I had to ask anyway.

"Nope, she wants her son back." Jamie replied. "I've invited her in for coffee as a proper drone would do when another vampire Royal visits. So let's put our game faces on and not keep the lady waiting." With this Jamie's posture becomes very straight like a servant and he bowed before allowing me to head downstairs.

"Oh great, I'm going to have to deal with this drone servant shit for a while." went through my head.

Before following me downstairs, Jamie went to Leah and Audrey's room as well as Mia's to make sure that they did not emerge while the Royal was here. Gabe had only just passed out again and was unlikely to wake up in the next hour or so. Jamie knew how to act like a drone, Leah and Audrey did not.

I went downstairs trying to mentally prepare myself for the encounter. Which isn't as easy as it sounds for an Ethereal.

As I entered the dining area I had to stop myself from bursting out in shock.

Rose was of course sitting next to a lady with salt and peppered hair. She looked to be in her mid forties and one glance at her features announcing her parentage to Alex for the whole world to see.

I caught the end of their conversation as I entered the room. "While we're blood related, I unfortunately took after my mother too much and didn't get the vampire genes." Rose was explaining.

Trust my sister to be able to make friends with anyone, even an Original Royal Vampire.

"I'm so sorry honey." came the reply as the Royal put her hand over Rose's, making me fight the urge to rip the hand off. "Sometimes humans are born to vampire parents, it's just unfortunate thing that can happen. As long as your sister is looking after you."

"Of course she is." Was all the response that Rose gave.

"Sorry to make you wait." I announced my presence to the Royal, still trying to push the nervousness down into the bottom of my stomach.

Surprisingly, the woman stood to introduce herself. "It's nice to finally meet you, my name is Cynthia Davenport and unfortunately, I'm the mother to the idiot that tried to attack you, Alexander."

"Hi," I replied back, rather startled that I was being formal with a Royal. "My name is Violet Charr and I'm a newly awakened Original." I was skirting with the truth a bit, hoping Cynthia would buy it. "Yes we do have your son locked up, for an Original his plan wasn't very well executed."

"You're telling me." Cynthia stated. "I've been trying to teach him to be more discrete for YEARS. But no, he HAS to be like his father. So stupid that he's going to get himself caught by hunters and killed. If he keeps going this way I'm going to have to have him locked up right next to his father."

Jamie came into the room at this point, standing very tall and properly like a professional butler would do. We also had a steaming pot of coffee, milk, sugar and saucers lined up on a silver tray.

"Please sit." I invited Cynthia and Rose, who were sitting anyway but it was sill polite as Cynthia had stood to greet me. I hated having to ignore Jamie like this though.

"Now, as to your son." I began before Cynthia interrupted me.

"I'm not here to rescue the idiot, I'm here to make sure he's being justly punished for his disgraceful behavior. He's 20 for the love of all things and maybe some pain, real pain, will help him learn." Cynthia said, her eyes lighting up at the prospect of getting to hurt someone, even her own flesh and blood apparently. "If he ever steps out of line again, feel free to send him back to me with all his limbs in different boxes.."