Chapter 7

I woke up to a pounding headache, no doubt caused by whatever I was injected with.

I sat up, apparently too quickly, as a wave of nausea hit me. I could have sworn my stomach was still empty from the last round of throwing up.

After the wave of nausea passed I took a look around the room I was in.

It was a fairly small room with concrete walls, floor and roof, as well as a heavy metal door. There were also no windows. I was sitting on an army style single bed made out of steel.

In one corner of the room, not separated from the rest of the room in anyway, stood a shower, sink and toilet. A mirror hung over the sink. There was also a small fridge humming in the corner and a bookshelf.

"What the hell?" I thought to myself. "Am I in prison?" Although the room was far from dark, there didn't appear to be any lights present.

I got up and went to the sink, pleased to find a new toothbrush and amenities present. As well as some fresh, albeit plain, clothes.

I took a shower, washed my hair and brushed my teeth, finally starting to feel human again.

I looked into the mirror to finish drying my hair and saw my eyes. My entire iris was gently glowing in brilliant green. Normally I would have freaked out about such a thing, but I've had so many bizarre things happen to me since I woke up in hospital that my ability to react was completely drained.

"I would probably qualify to join a circus as part of their freak show at this point." I thought to myself.

After giving up halfway through drying my hair, I went over to the fridge. It's been god knows how long since I last ate and I've puked my guts up since then.

However, fate was not on my side. As I opened the fridge all I saw was bags of blood. Closer inspection of the label revealed it was human blood, including what type it was.

Now I'm not great with blood at the best of times, but seeing it bagged in the fridge like it was someone's personal snack was enough to make me feel sick yet again.

I went over to the steel door and began banging on it, trying to get someone's attention. At this point I'm not even sure if anyone is on the other side. After all, no one came in when I woke up.

As I was banging on the door I noticed a faint smell coming from the other side of it. I could swear it was roast lamb and gravy. My stomach growled, demanding it be fed the lamb and gravy that I wasn't even sure existed.

After a few minutes, I gave up on getting anyone's attention. If they could hear me, then they were ignoring me.

Having nothing else to do, I went and sat on the bed and started to think. All the while my stomach was throwing a temper tantrum, demanding to be fed.

I had no idea where I was or what happened to Leah and Rhys. Don't even get me started on what I was planning to do with that snake Audrey if I ever see her again. Unless she has a REALLY good explanation I'm going to make sure she never wants to come near me or my loved ones again.

However, all this pondering on questions I don't have the answers to isn't going to help me. So I decided to get up and look at what was on the bookshelf. Flicking through the titles until one caught my interest. 'A History of Vampires.' By Charles Mayweather.

I took it off the shelf carefully as it looked extremely old. A quick look at the publication date of 1921 confirmed that it was in fact, really old.

I opened the cover and immediately the dedication caught my attention.

For my son, Reece Mayweather.