Chapter 18

We were all gathered around the dining room table. This included Rose, Mia, all the Ethereals and Rhys, who was finally awake and alert after many long shifts.

The poor guy got transferred into the regular force, there is no vampire unit at his new station. The government claimed it wasn't needed in this upscale part of the city. So he was working long shift hours. Sometimes he'd work two day shifts, two afternoon shifts and finish on two night shifts, all 12 hours each mind you. Poor guy was wrecked.

After everyone sat down comfortably with their coffees and teas in hand, it was time to hear about what Mia wanted to talk about.

"So nothing about the people living here is normal." Mia paused looking at us Ethereals. "I'd like to know what the rules are about parties and bringing people home. We're at university after all, I want to have some fun. Don't get me wrong, I love everyone here. I'm just asking from the perspective of keeping everyone safe."

"Yup, Mia has a one track mind." I thought to myself. The girl may be able to throw an average guy clean across the room thanks to her slightly vampire enhanced genetics and she may be an incredibly loyal friend, but once she starts thinking about guys, it's all that's on her mind.

"What did you have in mind?" Jamie asked. I didn't mind Jamie taking the lead on this one. He had far more experience with people due to his age.

"There's a small gathering Friday to celebrate the new year and new enrollees." Mia started to explain. "It'll be at a bowling alley and of course there will be alcohol. I just wanted to know if I can bring a boy back if I want."

"Hmmmm," Jamie started to think. I couldn't see how that would possibly be a good idea. Especially since the guy in question was most likely Dan.

"How about this?" Jamie said before launching into his compromise. "You can have people over but you must give everyone, especially Violet, Leah, Audrey and myself at least 24 hours notice. That way we can make sure to use the contacts that hide the glow in our eyes."

I looked around quickly at my Ethereal family, it was only dusk and already the green ring in everyone's eyes were standing out. I could only imagine how bad mine looked.

"That sounds fair." Mia agreed, happy to get her way. "Well be careful Friday night and Saturday morning." She said to us, almost purring with excitement at this point.

"Also, are you three coming?" Mia gestured to Leah, Audrey and myself.

"Huh?" Was my reply. "We've been invited somewhere?"

Both Leah and Audrey laughed. "Yes dingus." It was Leah that replied. "Do you seriously not concentrate at all when people are talking."

I felt an embarrassed blush rise as I'd been caught in lala land instead of concentrating on the people around me.

"Alexander invited us to his small get together at the bowling alley this Friday. Gabe, Dan, Vanessa and John will also be there."

Well, at least it's only a small get together. I didn't want a repeat of what happened last time I went to a large party. It still gave me nightmares.

"Ok, count me in." I told them. Apart from Alex the pain being there it sounded like it should be a good evening. And Gabe will be there, my brain interjected. Wait, why does that matter?

Now that Mia's issue had been settled, I got up and after asking Rose if I could borrow her husband, I almost dragged Rhys into the deserted kitchen.

"What's up?" He asked, it wasn't very often I sought a private conversation with Rhys. Normally we hung out with Rose present as well, we all quite enjoyed the family vibe it gave off.