Epilogue

700 years later.

I was running as fast as I could. Using the speed I'd inherited from Violet to outstrip all the Vampires in the guard so I could get there before more people died.

I crested the last hill and saw the carnage in front of me. There were over 100 bloody bodies dead in the snow. I could instantly tell that they were nearly all human from the way the bodies had been drained of blood.

The guard caught up to me moments later. "King Jamie." My right hand woman Dame Audrey greeted me.

"We're to late." I said sadly. "Who in the twelve kingdoms would do this? Do they even realize that attacking another kingdoms humans would mean war?"

I waved my hand and ordered the guards to do a quick investigation and look for survivors.

"It's been 700 years since the wolves landed and conquered earth before splitting it up into the twelve kingdoms ruled by their vampires . Just because we treat everyone fairly in our kingdom, doesn't mean it's the same everywhere." Audrey said.

"I've even heard that the human species are dying out in Alex's kingdom." Audrey continued.

"Well what does he expect?" I snapped. "You can't pass a law freeing vampires to attack and drain humans as they please and expect the population to thrive. Now they're looking at my kingdom dam it. Although maybe this means I'll get to kill that bastard once and for all.

"Be careful Jamie." Audrey cautioned. "That little weasel doesn't play fair and the only reason he even got to be a king is because the wolves were happy that he killed Violet for them."

"I know, I know." I replied. "He just frustrates me so much."

"Me to." Came Audrey's reply.

I looked over the scene before me. It certainly did look like it was an attempt to drain blood in my territory from another territory and we were close enough to the border to make it feasible.

"Your Highness, Dame Audrey." One of the guards called us over to near where one of the supply caravans had been flipped over.

As we approached the guard he started into his report without being prompted. "There are 136 dead humans, 13 dead vampires and 1 survivor."

"Who's the survivor." I asked immediately.

The guard mentioned for me to follow him to the other side of the snow covered caravan. There I saw the most bizarre sight. There was a human girl no older than 4 years old unconscious and nestled into the caravan.

But there was also a red fox kit that was lying on top of her, very much awake and had a very protective look in it's eye while it was keeping her warm.

"We can't get close to the girl without the fox trying to bite our fingers off Your Highness." The guards explained.

"Thank you, I'll handle it from here." I said to the guard. "Please order everyone to gather wood so we can cremate these bodies. I don't want them left to the elements."

"Yes sire." The guard said before walking away and giving the new orders to all the others.

The sight of this little girl with her brown hair and white face from being in the cold to long tugged on my heartstrings. She must be the same age as my daughter, only 3 or 4 years old.

I got on my hands and knees and slowly approached the survivor of this attack. As I got close to the girl the fox kit started to growl. I held out my hand slowly to the kit so it could sniff my hand.

Once the fox had confirmed my scent it visibly relaxed and got up off the girl to come and rub it's head on me. Well that was a 180 degree turn in personality.

I picked up the girl. She was cold but definitely still alive so I bought her under my jacket for warmth.

"What are you going to do with her?" Audrey asked me, hope evident in her eyes. Ever since Audrey and her wife Leah had their first child they've been trying for a second, unfortunately it's not that easy for vampires to get pregnant.

"I think my daughter might want a playmate." I said making the decision to keep her and make her a part of my family.

"Your wife's going to love another child to spoil." Audrey told me with a grin and I knew she was right.

I started to walk away to deal with the hasty funeral arrangements for these poor souls and the fox kit followed me and the child.

"Would you like to come with us as well?" I asked the kit not expecting an answer. Needless to say I was surprised when it yiped at me.

"Well ok then, welcome to the family as well." I told the kit before sending a guard to get a carriage for the girl and the fox.

The fox seemed to be overjoyed that it wasn't being separated from it's little charge.

"I'm going to need to think of names for both of you." I said mostly to myself.

The girl didn't wake up through the lighting of the funeral pyre or the bumpy ride in the carriage. In fact she didn't wake up until she was in a comfy bed at the palace, ready to face what her new life would throw at her.

Fin

The story as well as the answers to what happened to Violet and Gabe will be continued in 'Bleeding Shadows - Ethereal'