An Early Winter

I remember when I was a boy, I had many fantasies. Industrial engineer won out, but when I was 12, and below, I was a cop fanatic. Cop shows, documentaries, Miranda rights I was obsessed with it all. However, when I spend hours on TV, I always wondered why the bad guys did what they do? Well, one thing is for sure I never thought I would be one. My name is Ivan Petrov, and I'm currently a wanted man living in a world gone mad. But to fully understand my tale, you must understand something about a little Russian city called Volgograd. Volgograd was a town birthed from making one's history. It draws strength from its long history of metallurgy, war, and manufacturing. However, compared to the rest of Russia, it was still one of Russia's poorest cities. But the title I felt like holding the most weight was merely home. It was the place that I had Christmas with almost all my family. The place where Panorama museum was my favorite elementary field trip. Memories brimmed with every street I went through.

But still with the economic standing of I took every opportunity I could to get a free education while my mother stayed at home to deal with my two almost baby twin sisters. I was lucky enough to land a school that was very close to where I was, but sadly, life had different plans. My father's factory, a place that he had spent 20 years working at, finally ran itself out of business. It was a devastating blow for him, and he couldn't find a job that would pay the same amount. And in a desperate attempt for him not to spiral out of control, I decided to step up for my family. I cheated off any chance of going to college so that I could make a stable income for my family. After all, there was always a saying amongst my family.

"Семья - это свет, который объединяет и толкает нас вперед."

Four years whizzed by as I spent most of my day being a museum guide rather than my dream job as an engineer. I kept most of my small circle of friends as even in college; they still find me the only responsible one they knew. It was stressful work, and every time I walked through the halls of the museum that celebrated the heroes of our country. I look at my hands merely realize that I could physically be making my own at that very moment if things were different. I felt trapped. I was asleep when Genesis started, and when morning came, I opened my eyes to a brand new world. Many of my friends and some of my distant cousins and perished during the event, and with them gone, the world felt so much colder. Like a tether had been lost as I entered a world gone mad.

And when the blizzard of chaos that was the NDA swept through. And after another aimlessly stressful night, I went to a place embedded in my memory. A little forest that my friends and I spent years wondering about the future that we would like to have. From a time where we thought the world was at our fingertips. When we didn't realize how cruel this world could be!

I screamed in frustration with tears welling up in my eyes. And then, "it" happened. I felt strands of my hair that stiffened white, and my hands generated a tempest of cold wind that lashes out against a tree causing its surface to harden to frost. I looked at my hands that grew suddenly very cold as wisps of the blast still trailed off my fingers. And with the stunning revelation came at least a little mercy in my new life.

After the NDA, things started getting a little better; crime had died down to a peaceful quiet. And I had now found a new reliever for my stress in the form of my powers. I didn't tell my parents as I felt that it should keep my powers to myself as I wanted to learn control over them a little more. I researched it, and I have cryokinesis. From my hands, I could unleash an endless winter and later on making my constructs of ice. In the privacy of the woods, I would explore the depths of my powers while talking about my day to friends. I even had made a new friend after Genesis that time was a girl named Nadia. She was a girl that suffered from migraines with a lot of attitude towards her and rebellious nature that I liked. Still, I felt like we had a kinship as friends.