Nine.

Chapter nine: Million dollar baby

"Come on, baby. The van's full. It's time to go."

When Ben's hand touched Margo's lower back, she shrugged him off and continued chiselling the wall to add more money to her millions. She looked to Tom and saw him doing the same and she knew exactly why. They both had someone they cared about deeply and digging more money out was for their benefit.

"What the hell are you doing? Didn't you just hear what I said?"Ben repeated, only a little more harsh when it was directed to Tom. "Stop digging more out. We got all this to deal with." His hands suggested the rest of the bags on the floor.

"A couple more loads." 

Tom was desperate. The money he needed would go towards his beloved children and although they admired him for being selfless, the clock was ticking and time was dripping down the face.

Ben sighed, shaking his head to his brother who looked between Tom and Margo with a hint of confusion.

"You know, in the ten years I've been working with you, Tom, you have never missed a hard out!" Ben yelled.

Tom stopped working and turned to look at Ben. "I gave us a fifteen minute cushion. It's twelve minutes to the church, a forty minute service, twelve minutes back. Add five minutes to load in and out of the van and we can subtract seven to beat them to the exit route. We will be fine! All right? God damn it, look at all this money!"

Margo's heart thumped wildly in her chest, her animalistic eyes examining the men and when Ben looked back to her, she was unrecognisable for the split second interaction. No longer was she exuberant to come into such wealth, but rather addicted to taking more. She was in the midst of a frenzy and he had to get her the hell out of here before she went money mad.

"Fuck this!" William yelled as he stood back up from his knelt position, an extra bag in his hands. "Time's up. We gotta go."

Santiago pleaded. "I want one more sweep for Lorea. All right? And then we burn it all down."

After a second of silence to collect everyone's agreement, Frankie panted heavily. "Okay, I'll get these last ones loaded down there, and you call out when you're ready to light it up. Move. Move!"

Margo took one last glance around the room, defeated. Unfortunately, they weren't able to steal all of Lorea's fortune but at least they were lucky enough to take what they could get their hands on in under ten minutes. While the men went to do one last sweep, she ran her fingers through her hair and blinked away the tears, breathing heavily with the great loss.

"Stop, baby. Come here." Ben touched her arm, his voice low but it had traits of care.

"I want it all, Benny." When she turned to look at him, a tear had slipped down her cheek. "Not for me, but for Matthew. I ju-"

A ricochet of bullets pierced the air and suddenly, her tears had dried up and wordlessly, with her heart racing faster than ever before, she took off down the dark corridor and followed the sounds of familiar pained cries; William.

When she got to the room, William was on his knees as he held up his red fingertips.

"I'm hit." He panted, drawing the attention of the rest of the crew.

"Shit. Where?"

"Left side."

Margo rushed to his aid, sliding on to her knees beside him. She took off his hiking bag and held his back up for support, examining the pool of blood that had gathered on his side and stained his checkered top.