Twenty four.

Chapter twenty four: Parting ways

The small village of St. Johns, Antigua and Barbuda thrived with residents who shopped around the markets and with the beeping of cars, but mainly mopeds, Margo almost fooled herself into believing she was on a holiday, but when they all entered the accountancy firm to meet a lawyer, guilt tore away and wore heavily on her mind. With all this money came great power and unfortunately, Redfly wasn't here to grant them guidance. 

"Minus our expenses and our administrative fee, that leaves five million, three hundred and thirty four thousand, one hundred and twenty dollars." The accountant woman informed from the head of the table. "Cut six ways which gives you eight hundred and eighty nine thousand and twenty dollars." 

"Holy Christ." Margo couldn't refrain from using the lord's name in vein. The amount of cash they illegally owned was astounding.

The woman barely looked in her direction. "Oh, and I need all of your signatures on the fifth contract here. It'll deposit the deceased's share into the Redfly Family Trust." She then handed the sheets of paper to William with a smile. "Here you are."

William flicked through the paper and examined the information, emotionless. Then, turning the page on its side, he tore the sheets in half before leaning over to the accountant. "I'd like you to include my share into the family trust." After glancing to his brother, he passed the forms over to him, patted him on the back and exited the office.

Margo knew that these men were good people and not one of them would be greedy and keep the money for themselves. After all, Tom's family deserved the cash even though they wanted the things money couldn't buy because no matter how hard they wished upon a star, they'd never be able to bring their father home.

She took a deep breath and locked eyes with Ben. She didn't nod nor shake her head, instead, she looked down to the paper and wondered what the hell she was going to do next. She needed this money. Her rent was due tomorrow and she knew Matthew didn't have the finances to hold the landlord up until her arrival. Not only that, after everything they've been through to get the cash, she couldn't go empty handed, and when a thought occurred, she immediately lightened up.

It may not have been the morally right thing to do, but she had to put herself and her brother before a dead man and his family who were already getting a lump sum of money to cover all the costs associated with his departure. And so with the extra two million she stored in her jacket's coat pocket, she realised that although the men had emptied all their rucksacks onto the table, they weren't aware of the fortune in her clothes. 

With the last minute decision of a conflicting theory, she decided that the money in this room would go towards Tom's trust, along with the other men's money but the money she had in her jacket would proceed to her own lifestyle which she could just about afford. With a rotten apartment and a shitty life in a shitty town, she and Matthew needed to break free and they needed to do it soon.

"Me too." Ben scribbled his name down on the paper before handing it over to Frankie, knowing that Margo wasn't ready for such a huge loss of cash, or so he thought. "Thank you."

With this money, Frankie had a lot to lose. Having another kid meant that he needed to put money away in order to provide them with a sturdy future and he sighed, knowing ultimately, he was going to remain a good person and so when he looked over to Margo and Pope, he crumbled up the paper in his hands. When he signed his name, he patted Margo on the back, winked at Pope and exited the room to meet the others.

When Pope passed the papers over to Margo, she shook her head. "You do the honours, chief. I insist."

"We fought so hard for this money." Pope's eternal war took a toll on him. "We went all that way for nothing and all we got in return was the death of Fly. In what world is that fair?"