Twenty nine.

Chapter twenty nine: Trócaire

The atmosphere seemed to drop immensely, only to be replace with an icy tension that could not have been cut by a knife. With the groomsmen and bridesmaids gasping aloud, the audience swept into small whispers of disbelief. Margo's mouth fell agape and watched as William daringly stood out from behind his brother to make himself known, but somehow, Ben knew this would happen.

The priest looked surprised but after he cleared his throat, he continued through the disruption in the crowd. "You can't object simply because you're in love with the bride. It has to be a legal reason why the couple can't wed, you do know this, yes?"

"Yes, I know." William unravelled a piece of paper that documented his brother's lack of sacraments. "Ben has not been baptised, therefore, he cannot get married in this catholic church."

Ben felt the knife before he saw it. Looking into the eyes of the wielder, he no longer recognised his attacker to be his brother, much rather that of an old relative he grew to hate over the years for obvious reasons, and he hadn't experienced so much hatred, humility and hostility for one person, until now. As William tried to come in between himself and Margo, all he could see was red.

Margo didn't know what to do. In front of her friends and family, she was beyond mortified with William's dangerous behaviour. He was treading on thin ice and with Margo's eyes in slits, her heart beating quickly and her blood boiling, she clenched her freshly manicured fingers into a tight ball by her side and restrained herself from punching the man who threatened to ruin a match made in hell.

"What the fuck are you doing, William?" Frankie hissed, both himself and Santiago stepping forward to pull the man back. "Not now, dude. This is low, this is so so low. Don't do this today. Don't ruin everything!"

"Silence!" The priest yelled and examined the paper. When he looked back up, he sighed in sorrow. "These documents are legitimate, Mr Miller. I am afraid to say it, but by the catholic church, you cannot proceed with this wedding."

Amongst the chaos that broke out after the priest confirming the dismissal of the matrimony, tears of anger welled in Margo's eyes. Yovanna and Shannon quickly ran to her aid, desperately trying to save her from the sinking ship of marriage but she'd already submerged and she was drowning. With her hearing muffled, only allowing white noise to invade her ears, her nostrils had flared and with a snarled lip, her sight fixated on William who looked apologetic for ruining the moment but he had no other option. The time was running out and she was slipping through his fingers like sand.

Ben had to compress his anger and remain sophisticated and composed, but with each step William took closer to the centre of the altar, venom spurted through his veins and with the urge to lunge out and viciously attack Ben for the savage he once used to be, Pope and Frankie ran forward and Pope came behind him, wrapped his arm around his chest and Frankie growled into his face, demanding him to keep his sanity. He was about to lose it all.

"I know what everybody is thinking. Believe me, I wish things didn't turn out this way but I am not in control of how I feel, so, father, if you'd let me, I have a couple of things to get off my chest."

Spiteful and absolutely heartbroken, Ben thrashed against the arms that held him back but his voice couldn't be restrained, and when it came out through his mouth, he was undeniably crushed by such betrayal. As far as Ben was concerned, William was, and always will be, Judas.

"You hateful, conniving, piece of fucking shit!" Ben spat the words out like poison as his reddened cheeks suppressed more sinful words. "How could you do this to me? You're supposed to be my fucking brother!"