Fifteen.

Chapter fifteen: When I see your face

As the river's current rapidly lapped against fellow waves, crashing into a few rocks that lay in its awakening, Margo could only let tears fill her eyes and suffer in silence. After their short break during the rain, they'd began to walk yet another two hours or so until they got to the river's edge. As time progressed, she looked absolutely debilitated and if that's how she looked on the outside, the men could only assume how she'd feel within.

She was resilient and the boys admired her for that because not many people would have the courage nor the strength to proceed with such a task. Not once did she complain about battling the illness and she kept up a fast pace and a stressed look of determination on her sickly features made them all want refuge that little bit more. They didn't know how much longer she'd be able to continue the journey because to them, she looked as though she needed a doctor, a variety of food, warmth and shelter and they couldn't provide it.

Turning around, Ben faced Margo with a hint of sadness. It hurt him to know that he couldn't help her in all the ways she needed. "Are you up for this, baby?"

"She has no other option." Tom's voice was laced with determination. He knew that it would be a struggle but she'd overcome it like the warrior she was. 

Ben suddenly became defensive, seconds away from squaring up to Tom. "How can you be so cruel, man? She's fucking sick! There's gotta be another way."

"No, Benny." Margo swallowed and flashed the men a nauseous smile. "I can do it. We're wasting daylight so let's go."

Margo was then in front of Ben who wanted to stay behind her to make sure she was safe and didn't faint without their acknowledgement. This way, he could keep his eyes on her at all times and watch her every move. As there was nothing to let them ease their way into the water, they had to jump from the rocks and land into the current which flowed quickly.

The men seemed to enter with ease, some even tensing when the water touched their skin but with their arms round their donkeys, and more specifically, the money, they swam through the river to make it to the other side.

Before she managed to get in, Ben placed his dirty hand round her forearm and looked to her intently. His brows were furrowed, stress lines on his forehead and his eyes shone with concern, subtly asking her if she was okay to carry on, to which she shot him a wink of encouragement.

When the waves licked her skin after the majority of her body had submerged, she froze. The feeling of having the water slammed against her stomach could only be described as a thousand knives penetrating her torso, limbs and legs and yet, through the chattering teeth and the agonising illness symptoms, she whimpered but began to swim alongside the donkey.

 Her lips quivered. The river may have been in the midst of a scorching, dreary jungle but its water was on the contrary. With every stroke her arm made against the tide, the pressure only seemed to hold her back, and thus, with the very little energy she had left, she latched onto the donkey and kicked her legs minimally.

Nearing the edge of the water on the other side of the river, she breathed out a shaky sigh of relief and waited for a moment for her donkey to be trailed by Tom, out of the water and onto the land. For the brief moment she was left unattended in the water without support, Ben came from behind her and ushered her up with his hand to grab William who had already been standing, waiting to be of service.

"Thanks." She muttered to William before turning back to Ben as he crawled out of the water. "I don't need any help, you know."

A smirk tugged on Ben's lips. "I know, darlin. Nobody said I couldn't help you though."