Twenty six.

Chapter twenty six: Broken glass

The minute Margo stepped foot across the threshold of her irretrievable apartment's doorway was the exact moment a gun was raised to her head and before she could respond, her body had been slammed against the door, only causing her to bang the back of her head against the wood and with the impact and lack of capability to respond with her natural instincts, she gasped aloud and slipped down to the ground.

"Oh my God, Margo! I'm so sorry! I thought you were that guy!" 

Margo allowed herself to be collected in the arms of her brother. Ordinarily, she would've pushed him away and insisted on saving herself, only this time she enjoyed his company and the safety they correlated. When she sat down on the sofa, Matthew quickly joined her and pulled her into his arms, to which she wrapped her arms over his shoulders and held him tight, afraid to let go.

"What guy? Pope?" She asked, trying hard to hide the contentment of pain on her face.

"Who's that?"

"The guy that came to get me."

Shaking his head, Matthew frowned. "No, but it doesn't matter. You need to tell me everything."

With a raised brow, she let it go and assumed he would be able to handle the situation like the grown man she'd raised him to be. And after a heavy sigh, she told him everything, and the absolute truth about the mission and the ugly deception she'd fooled him into believing about her. He soon learned that his sister wasn't just secluded from the world because of bad experiences. She was the bad reason why people lurked in the shadows, afraid of becoming known to the alleged gang warrior who'd cut a smile to anyone who ever so looked at her the wrong way.

It began with the past and how she met the men, which led to the conversation of William and how being in love made her fear weakness, and as a result, she fled for six years and within that time, she'd gotten herself involved with a mafia mobster who led her into the lifestyle of crime and deviance. And how when she got out, he promised to follow her to the ends of the earth. Of course, she didn't believe any harm would come her way but Matthew wasn't convinced.

And when the conversation came up about Ben, it was obvious she was disorientated, torn between the two brothers. Matthew had a lot to say about the danger his sister had caused but when push comes to shove, he'd always have her back, even if it meant eliminating the two men who could turn on her just as quickly as she left them. 

Surprisingly, the million dollar conversation didn't particularly make Matthew beam with joy. At first, he was wary to believe such news. They'd suffered with poverty all their life and the thought of accepting dirty money made him scared because even though now, it was legally theirs, he knew Lorea's men would attempt to find each piece of paper and as a memorial to their leader, they'd decapitate Margo and her friends to show him justice. 

He was in even more disbelief when his sister told him that she jumped out of a helicopter in order to save both the money and her friend's lives. If she hadn't kicked the net from beneath the copter, the cash would have been shred to insignificant pieces and the vessel would probably have obliterated along with those inside. 

Then, just like the story that followed after, she told him how she got sick in the jungle, which led to the harrowing walk along the edge of a cliff with mules to carry their luggage and even after the ending of an innocent animal that plummeted to its death, they continued on through to the mountains to where her friend, Tom, died in a shootout in order to save her. 

The conversation pretty much came to a halt after that. With the intense burning sensation that radiated all over her body from both pain spilling from the back of her head but mostly within her chest, she stopped talking, terrified to break down in front of yet another person who hadn't seen the weak side of her. At least at the end of it all, she was able to hold her bloody hands up in surrender and label herself as a survivor, even though she wish she hadn't. Not only had she gotten Redfly killed, she'd distorted the brotherly bond between the two men she'd grown to adore so effortlessly and truculently.