Twenty three.

Chapter twenty three: When there's a Will, there's a way

Ben had left a few minutes ago to go and find a proper bed to sleep on, even a level floor would have been perfectly fine, anything was an upgrade from the mountain's rocks that stabbed him in the back much more than Will and Margo would be able to.

Margo puffed on a cigarette. The alcohol settled in her system and left her with a buzz which resulted in problematic thoughts. She enjoyed the feeling of being on edge and how she felt as though she could take on the world with a few pints in her bloodstream, but now, she felt empty and confused, and so while a cigarette hung from her lips and with her fingers tightly curling around the ship deck's railing, she looked to the moon and wondered if Matthew was on the other side, looking at the same waning crescent. 

When the door squeaked open behind her, she could only glare to the skies above as her face faded into the cloud of smoke. Immediately, she recognised the footsteps and the aura that followed.

"You've been out here for an hour." William spoke with caution. "Everybody's away to sleep. Maybe you should do the same. The captain said we'll be there before six o'clock in the morning."

Margo scoffed. "Why can't you boys leave me the hell alone?"

"Why can't you just accept the fact that people care about you?"

"And why can't you stop being an incorrigible flirt?" She looked back to him and he'd hollowed his cheeks to prevent a word spillage. "You need to stop this, Will. We're not meant to be together and that's just how shit goes. Get over it."

William leaned against the railing and watched how the smoke left her mouth in trails. "I'll get over it when you get over it."

She looked to him from the side of her eyes. "I am over it. I moved on, didn't I?"

"I've moved on plenty of times." William chuckled. "But nobody's quite like you."

"What can I say? I'm an acquired taste."

William couldn't help but smirk. "You're so argumentative. You're drunk, you're sad, wounded and exhausted and yet, you still find the fire inside your soul to fight. Why? It's gonna get you nowhere, princess."

"How do you know I'm sad?"

"Besides the obvious?" He smiled and observed the way some strands of hair had stuck to the wet patches on the side of her face. "You're always sad, even if you don't say it."

Margo took a gulp of the beer that William had handed to her. "So to cure my depression you're handing me a depressant?"

"You're puffing your lungs out. Does it matter what I do?"

"I thought you wanted to help me."

"I do, but in order to be helped, you have to want it first."  William nodded his head and took a swig from the glass. "See, that's the difference between my dear brother and I. I'm not going to waste my time unless I'm wanted whereas he'd chase you to the ends of the fucking earth to call you that stupid nickname he calls you a thousand times a day."

A smirk boosted Margo's dull expression. "I think it's suffice to say that you're jealous."

"Well, what if I am?"

"Well then, you have no right to be." She suddenly glared and took a step back from the shoulder that had inched closer to hers. "Benny and I, we're happy together. I'm happy and I don't need you of all people to fuck it up."