Chapter 23: The Future

Kagome lied asleep in his study on her pillows with their daughter asleep beside her. Sesshomaru stopped working to look at the two of them; it was a relief to be back at the palace despite the troubles that whirled around them.

His mate had died, her brother was enraged and Kagome would give birth any day now. They had been back at the palace for a few months and Takashi demanded use of Kagome after she had giving birth and was saving within Sesshomaru's own palace to make sure that she was secreted away. It frustrated Sesshomaru that he could not banish Takashi from his home and keep his family save from the other Lords.

Offers of marriage were beginning to come for Mizuki since she was his only daughter for the moment.

No demon would ever have his little Moonlight or any other daughter that Kagome would give him. They would all say under his protection and all challengers for his daughters would die at his claws and fangs.

Reaching out, his hand gently touched his little girl's hair. But at least there was hope for them because of his mother's old connections. He had never know that his mother was childhood friends were the Lady Rie and her mate, the Great Lord Hotaka. It was because of the two of them alone that Take had not Kagome taken from him...yet.

Looking at his sleeping daughter as he soothed her silver locks, he wondered how many others would be born with the same silver hair as he and how many would be born with their mother's black hair.

He looked forward to the birth of their unborn.

Sesshomaru longed to hold his firstborn son and dreaded the death of the half demon child that was growing with his concubine. It would be a bittersweet moment for him and him alone. Kagome needed not to suffer the loss of their child and he would see to it that she did not have to suffer it. Maybe his sword would be able to save the child, though he had his doubts.

"Sesshomaru? What's wrong?" Kagome asked him, surprising him as well. With her pregnancy so far long and the drain of it on her, Kagome was often asleep when she did not wake to eat and make waste. It was likely that she had awaken hungry.

"It is nothing that you need to worry about Kagome. You need only rest and prepare yourself for the birth," He told her calmly before he got from and went to the table in the center of the room. The table was load with food that Kagome had been craving as of late.

"You're not being honest with me, Sesshomaru. Remember your promise? Or was it all just empty words?" Kagome asked him and he prepared a tray of food for her.

He stopped and turned to look at her.

"No, Kagome. My words were true to you that day, but you do not need the stress at the moment or would you want to trigger another labor before the children are ready? I know you have no desire to endanger our children in such." Kagome paled at his words and he watched as her hands carressed her enlarged stomach where their children were housed within her.

He felt guilty for being over harsh with his words, but he had meant every word and would keep his promise that everything would change for them.

He was quick to finish his task and took the tray to Kagome's side, where the food seemed to travel about her plate instead of to her mouth. "Kagome, you need to eat." He muttered to her reluctances, worried that this would become a bad habit for her with her pregnant state.

"If I tell you now, will you eat?" He asked, disliking how weak he had seem to become clay towards her needs and wants. Kagome looked at him warily but nodded to his question.

"I have some concerns about the birth and there after it." He told her calmly, unsure as to how to explain that this birth would be different from the last one.