What's Her Name?

After a couple of weeks, my dad and I settled back into our usual routine, and neither one of us ever mentioned what happened again. Although I could tell he was walking on eggshells around me, trying not to say anything to upset me further. A month later, when he approached me nervously one day after school while I was reading Catcher in the Rye, I knew something was wrong. I closed my book and narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously.

"What's up, dad?" I asked. He sat down in the chair across from me, folding his arms nervously across his chest.

"Alma, you've been doing really well this year, with school, and you've made new friends, which is great. I just think it's time you take on a role with a little more responsibility."

"Responsibility? What do you mean? Do you want me to get my driver's license?" I raised my eyebrows. He shook his head.

"No, no, we live less than a mile away from everything, there's no need for that. I'm talking about maybe getting a job?"

"Oh, a job!" I leaned forward in surprise. "Yeah, that's a great idea."

"Really?" My dad's shoulders lowered in relief, "I mean, yes I think it is. You know... Stewart's is hiring."

"The diner down the street? How do you know?" I asked, and he shrugged casually.

"I saw a sign in the window and talked to the manager, Laurie Evans a couple weeks ago," he said casually. I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"Laurie Evans? Wasn't she friends with mom?" I tilted my head in vague recognition. He nodded and smiled.

"Yeah, and she's really nice, I think you'd like working for her. If you want I could come with you to walk down there and talk to her now," he suggested. I shook my head and reclined back in my chair.

"No, that's okay, I'll do it another day. I really have to finish this book."

"Oh..." my dad lowered his eyes and shifted awkwardly.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's just... I kind of already told Laurie you would be coming by this afternoon," he admitted with a guilty shrug of his shoulders. I sighed and tossed my book on the coffee table. Looks like reading would have to wait.

"I'm gonna let that slide, but only because I'm really interested. I'll be back soon," I waved. My dad smiled and wished me luck as I grabbed my jacket and headed out the door.

* * *

Stewart's was a little diner named after the owner, Shane Stewart, a short, bald, Irish man who loved telling the story of how his family came over to Boston during the Irish Potato Famine. He wanted people to know how hard he worked for his business, which he established twenty years prior, and had grown to be one of the most popular diners in the area. It was a small, brick building, but it was always bustling with customers, from 7:00am until 4:00pm every day. I had been there a couple of times before mom died, but hadn't been since, even though I walked by it nearly every day on my way to school. I arrived at 3:30pm, and it looked like things were slowing down as bussers and waitresses began wiping down tables and sweeping the tile floors. I went up the the counter and caught the attention of a short, red-headed waitress at the cash register.

"Hi," I leaned in closer to read her name tag, "Katie. I'm Alma, I came to inquire about any available waitressing positions? I'm supposed to be meeting with Laurie?" I asked. Katie nodded enthusiastically with a bright grin upon her face.

"Right. I'll tell her you're here. You can sit down anywhere you like."

"Thanks." I took a seat in a booth by the window and waited until a tall, serious looking woman came out from the back and took the seat across from me. It was Laurie. She looked more familiar to me than I had anticipated. Her long, frizzy hair had a red tint that illuminated her pale skin and contrasted her eyes, which were dark and intense. I stood up and stuck out my hand for her to shake.