God on the Hillside

"Good morning, Mr. Miller," I chirped as I skipped into class and took my seat.

"Good morning, Alma," Mr. Miller smiled as he looked up from his computer. "Someone's feeling chipper today," he straightened his tie, which was embroidered with a picture of Bugs Bunny's face. "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing in particular," I grinned. The truth was, I had been feeling pretty great during the past month of my senior year. I liked all my classes, especially writing and sculpting class, and got along well with all of my friends. Even Chris and I had been hanging out more than usual, as it was our routine to meet in the library at least once a week to discuss our assignments. I liked my job, especially since Laurie and I had become closer after we talked about my dad and her. And best of all, tomorrow I was finally turning eighteen, which meant I would officially be an adult. Not that anything would really change about my life, except being able to get my driver's license without taking driver's ed, but I was still excited. I was ready to move onto the next chapter in my life.

"Did you finish your short story yet?" Mr. Miller asked somewhat eagerly.

"Finish it? But it's not due until Monday!" I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, I know," Mr. Miller said, slightly deflated in his chair, "I just thought, since you submitted your Robert Frost poem and your sonnet early that you would..."

"Just kidding!" I took my completed story out from my folder and held it up. "I finished it last night," I smirked.

"Very good," Mr. Miller leaned back in his chair, almost impressed. "What's it about?"

"Read it for yourself," I walked over to his desk and handed him my story. He took it from my hands gingerly and read the title aloud.

"God on the Hillside. Interesting," he met my gaze as looked up from the page, "I was never very religious," he shrugged.

"Oh, me neither," I shook my head. Mr. Miller gave me a quizzical look to prompt me to continue. "Once when I was really little and curious about God and religion, I asked my mom where God was while we were walking through the park, and she pointed up at the sky, but I thought she was pointing at this big hill," I smiled at the memory and leaned against the desk, "so for years I thought that God lived on this big hill in the park, and I would like, say a prayer every time I walked by it. Anyway, that was my inspiration behind the story."

"How funny," Mr. Miller laughed softly, but I could tell by the warmth in his eyes that he wasn't making fun of me. He tucked my story into his desk drawer and met my gaze once more. "I look forward to reading it."

"Thanks," I smiled slightly. We both just looked at each other for a second, Mr. Miller, hunched forward in his chair, and me, leaning against his desk. After a long pause, Mr. Miller cleared his throat and busied himself on his computer. I took that as my cue to sit back down at my desk, but once I reached it, he looked up again and gave me a thoughtful glance.

"You know, you could use that story as an idea for your college essay," he suggested. I shivered at the thought of having to fill out my applications, especially writing my essay. I had been forming a list of colleges I was thinking of applying to over the past month, and now that I had narrowed it down to five schools, I guessed it was time to actually start applying.

"Yeah, maybe," I mumbled, trying not to seem as nervous as I was. Just then, Chris walked into the classroom and sat down next to me. Mr. Miller turned his attention back to his computer. "Hey, Chris. What's up?" I smiled and he smiled back.

"Hey, Alma," he sighed, "Nothing much, just stressing out over my plans for next year again. Oh that reminds me," he raised a finger, "I won't be in the library at lunch today since I have a meeting with my guidance counselor."