Across the Line

I shut the door and turned the sign to Closed as the last customer's walked out of Stewart's, the door-bell jingling behind them as they left. I sighed, relieved that my shift was finally over. It was the day after graduation, and I started working weekdays over the summer, but I had forgotten how long shifts seemed when they weren't filled with the normal bustle of the weekend. Oh well, I would get used to it, and at least I had tomorrow off.

"Long day, huh?" Laurie groaned as she leaned against the counter.

"Uh-huh," I grumbled and picked up a broom to start sweeping the floor. Laurie walked over and gingerly took it out of my hands, giving me a concerned look.

"What's wrong with you? You've been quiet all day," she asked, almost irritated.

"I'm sorry, I just-," I paused, "I'm tired. It's been a busy week."

"Alma, it's only Wednesday," Laurie smirked.

"I know," I sighed, exasperated, "It's been a long few weeks, I guess. Just with finals and then prom and then graduation, it's all been a lot," I shrugged. "Now, can I please have the broom back?" I reached for it, and Laurie smiled and handed it back to me.

"Fine. So you're not mad that your dad and I went to your graduation together?" she asked hesitantly. I shook my head.

"Of course not!" I smiled reassuringly. "You know I support you guys, we've talked about this!" I said, sweeping the floor somewhat aggressively, anxious to get home.

"I know, I just wanted to make sure." Laurie lowered her eyes as she began wiping the counter. After a few seconds, she stopped and looked back up again. "How's it going with the string bean, by the way? What's his name, Mr. Milner?"

"Mr. Miller," I stopped sweeping, "And nothing's going, really. It's over, he's not my teacher anymore." I resumed my sweeping, trying to choke down the tears that were burning in my throat. Laurie came out from behind the counter and once again snatched the broom from my hands, this time with more force.

"Isn't that a good thing? That he's not your teacher anymore?"

"No!" I scoffed. "We're never gonna see each other again!"

"Who says?" Laurie shrugged. "Why can't you guys be friends?"

"He made it pretty clear on Monday that he's not gonna be a part of my life anymore."

"How so?" Laurie asked, her voice gentler than before. I sighed. I explained to her the note he had left me on the inside cover of Jane Eyre, and how our goodbye had seemed so final, and so very painful. I told her everything Mrs. K had told me at graduation, and how even though it was nice to know that Matthew thought I was a great student, I doubted that he wanted a relationship beyond that, even a friendship. Besides, it would hurt me too much to try and be friends. It was painful enough to pretend I didn't have feelings for him for three years during high school, and I didn't want to continue that same cycle in the coming years. After I finished talking, Laurie nodded her head earnestly, and before she spoke, I could tell she was choosing her next words very carefully. "Well, if you can't be his student, and you can't be his friend, then why not tell him how you feel?"

"What? No! Are you crazy?" I spoke in a half-whisper, even though there was nobody around to hear our conversation.

"No, I'm not crazy!" Laurie scoffed, offended. "I just don't understand why you're keeping all these feelings bottled up. You're eighteen, you're not his student anymore, and you've graduated from high school. I mean, what have you been waiting for all these years?" she threw her hands in the air in frustration.