Daisies and the Detective

On Wednesday morning, I found Chris waiting for me outside Mr. Miller's classroom, a small bouquet of daisies clasped tightly between his hands.

"Alma." he said my name like he hadn't seen me in years. "These are for you." He handed me the bouquet and I took it hesitantly, lowering my eyes to avoid eye contact with him. "Hey," he whispered, and I looked up. "I'm so sorry, Alma. Please, please forgive me." I saw the desperate look on his face and felt hot tears well up in my eyes.

"Chris, of course I forgive you," I said.

"Really?" he smiled sweetly. I nodded. "Well that's- Alma, why are you crying?"

"Chris, we can't get back together," I sniffed. His face dropped.

"What? Why not?" he asked, defeated. I handed the bouquet back to him gingerly.

"Because I meant what I said on Sunday. We both deserve someone who can really understand us, and I don't want either of us to try to change for the other. I would never ask you to stop being so upbeat and cheerful, it's one of the things that makes you so wonderful. But you can't ask me to 'try and be happy' when I'm feeling sad. That's not what love is, Chris," I explained. He paused in sincere contemplation.

"Is there somebody else? Is that what this is all about?"

"No, Chris, of course not! I would never do that to you. I just think maybe we took things a little too fast with our relationship and we forgot to make sure we were actually compatible as a couple. We're different people. Do you get what I'm saying?" I asked hopefully. Chris leaned against the wall and sighed.

"Yeah, I do actually. I think you're probably right." He nodded his head in acceptance. "But I still don't want you to be gone from my life, Alma. Can we be friends, maybe? When you're ready. Well, when we're both ready." I smiled, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"Of course, I would love that."

"Good," he paused, looking down at his feet. "Will you take the flowers, at least? Call it a goodbye present," he shrugged and tried to smile. I nodded and he handed them back to me before leaning down for a hug.

"Thank you, Chris," I whispered in his ear before we parted. "Goodbye."

"Goodbye, Alma," he smiled sincerely and his freckles lit up. He gave a little wave before turning around and walking down the hallway. I sighed in relief and walked into class. Carla, who was already seated at her desk, noticed the daisies in my hand.

"What are those? Do you already have another suitor?"

"No, Chris gave them to me," I laughed and shook my head. Carla raised an eyebrow. "Goodbye present," I explained.

"Aw, that's sweet. So it's officially over with him?"

"Yep. But we ended things on good terms."

"Good, I'm so glad. That would've made church awkward." She laughed and I rolled my eyes. "Did you write your essay on Romeo and Juliet?" I nodded, pulling it out of my bag and laying it on my desk. "Did you write it about how your best friend Carla convinced you how amazing and romantic it truly is?" she asked eagerly.

"Mmm, not quite. But it isn't about how terrible it is either."

"That's a start," Carla shrugged. I stood up and walked over to Mr. Miller's desk to hand in my essay. He was hunched over his computer, squinting intensly at the screen. His hair was damp and he was wearing an olive green sweater and a bright, yellow tie, which was slightly crooked

"Morning, Mr. Miller. I have my paper on Romeo and Juliet," I caught his attention with a small wave. He looked up from his screen, slightly caught off guard by my presence.