Fish in the Sea

Hey, I get back this afternoon! Do you want to hang out? I blushed as I read Alan's text. He and I had been talking all week while he was in California, and it was really nice. I was a little nervous at the thought of seeing him again, but I relaxed when I remembered how easy I felt around him. Sure, I texted back but you can't keep me out until 11:30pm again! I fell asleep in class last time. I laughed at his response. Why am I dating a 70 year old? Don't worry, I'm sure I'm going to be super tired from my flight anyway. I'll pick you up at 3? I looked over at the clock: 7:06am; it would still be another eight hours until then. I sighed; unless I knew how to speed up time, that would have to do. Sure, see you then. Have a safe flight! My phone buzzed again just as I was putting it away to go to class. Don't worry, I have my rabbit for good luck. See you then.

* * *

"Wow, you look so tan!" I said to Alan as I slid into the passenger's seat of his car. He smiled wearily and leaned over to peck me on the cheek.

"It's good to see you," his voice was gravelly and low, and I noticed that there wasn't a trace of the usual mischief on his face.

"Are you okay? You didn't get sun poisoning, did you?" I teased, trying to lighten the mood. He laughed softly.

"No, I'm just exhausted from the flight. But it's all good," he shrugged. I took his face in my hands and looked deeply into his dark eyes.

"We don't have to hang out today, if you don't want to. I would understand if you just wanted to go home and rest," I said gently. He smiled sincerely and shook his head.

"That's sweet, but I've been thinking about you all week. I want to spend time with you. Plus, this is like my last night off until next weekend, and I'm way too impatient to wait that long to see you." At this, I blushed.

"I've been thinking about you, too," I whispered, pulling his face to meet mine. His lips tasted like coffee and his skin smelled of aftershave and California sun. I sighed as we drew apart, feeling the same dizziness in my head as the first time we kissed. "You know, if you're tired, we could always go to your place and watch a movie or something. I mean, as much as I enjoyed the thrill of roller skating, I'm fine with just," I shrugged, "relaxing." Alan smiled, and I noticed a glint of mischief reappear in his eyes.

"Sounds good to me. You ever seen Ghostbusters?" He asked. I laughed.

"Of, course I have! But to be honest, that doesn't really seem like your type of movie. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's great, just not what I was expecting."

"Excuse me!" Alan scoffed. "Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time! But also... I don't have cable and it's the only movie I own on DVD..."

"Ghostbusters it is, then," I grinned.

Alan lived in a small apartment building about five minutes away from the mall. The outside of the building looked a little run-down, to say the least. The bricks seemed to be laid haphazardly and all the windows were half-covered in grime. I was apprehensive about climbing the rickety stairs to the second floor, but once Alan turned the key and opened the door to his apartment, all my worries were put to rest. It was small, but warm and cozy, and was a lot cleaner than I would expect from a nineteen year-old college student. The floors were hardwood, and the walls were painted a light blue, also lined with string lights and covered in photographs of the coast and the sea. The shelves were filled with an assortment of candles and various plants. I walked over to a small, potted aloe plant on the coffee table.

"Haven't you been gone for a week? How are these not all dead?"

"Oh, my upstairs neighbor Ron came over to water them for me while I was gone. I'm pleased to say he did a good job," Alan said, crouching down beside me, and delicately held one of its thick leaves between his fingers. "So, what do you think?"