Epilogue

"Crap!" I stopped typing, and punched my fingers on my keyboard as my laptop battery died. A few other passengers on the train lifted their heads, and I shrunk in my seat, avoiding eye contact. I cursed myself under my breath for forgetting my laptop charger at home. Oh well, I could stop by the apartment when the train arrived in Boston in- I looked at my watch and groaned- forty minutes! I decided I should take the time to do some "personal reflecting," as Carla recommended. I rolled my eyes; ever since she had graduated from art school, she had become such a hipster. She did have a point though; I could use a little relaxation. The past five years had been so busy, they had gone by like the turn of a page, and I barely had time to contemplate where I was.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair, staring out the window as the scenery flew by, almost too fast for me to observe. I thought about my life, and how it had gotten to this point. I graduated from Northeastern University at the top of my class along with Carla, after four years of working harder and writing more than I had in my entire life. Besides all the writing I had to do for my actual classes, I focused on some personal projects as well. Remember that story I wrote about the magician and the sorceress for my final project in writing class? Well, I had turned that into a full length book, and wrote a sequel. Now, A Time of Malevolence was newly published, and successful, according to my publisher, whose office in New York I was returning home from. I had decided not to publish Magic in Costa Rica. I felt that the story was too personal for me to allow it to be changed through the publication process. I knew that it would be easier to publish it the way I wanted in the future, once I had already established myself as an author. I smiled softly to myself; it looked like I was getting there.

My heart ached slightly as I thought about Magic in Costa Rica and reflected upon the time of my life during which it was written. My experience writing my first book would forever be intertwined along with my memory of Matthew. I still thought about him occasionally, although mostly with fondness. Time had healed much of of the heartbreak I had felt so freshly years before. Looking back on it, I was grateful for everything I had gone through in high school.

Even though he had caused me pain, Matthew had taught me irreplaceable lessons, all of which I carried with me throughout the years, along with my worn out copy of Jane Eyre. I was certain that I would not be where I was if I had not had him as my teacher, mentor, and friend. Recently, I heard through Carla, who heard through Ethan, who heard through Mrs. K, that he had accepted a tenure position as an English professor at Boston University. I was happy for him, but I didn't try to congratulate him, since I hadn't heard from him or seen him since we kissed in his office two days after graduation. I was glad that we were both doing well in life, even though we couldn't be together. And I really was doing well.

After college, I had been busy trying to get my book published while still working part time at Stewart's. I finally moved out of home and leased an apartment with Carla and Ethan for a year. That lease would expire in a week, and on Sunday I would be signing a new one for my very own apartment. It was around the same neighborhood that Alan lived in, and while it was small and a little shabby, it was mine, and I was excited to call it my home.

I sighed again, exasperated at the thought of everything I had to do this weekend. Tonight, I was going out with Carla, Ethan, Alan, Mark, and Chris to celebrate my birthday. Tomorrow was the wedding, which I still had to prepare for, and Sunday I would be signing the lease for my new apartment and doing a book signing at the bookstore around the corner from my dad's. Oh, and Sunday was also my twenty-third birthday. I was celebrating tonight, simply because I wouldn't have time the rest of the weekend before I started packing up the apartment to move into my new place.

My train pulled into the station, and I realized that my "personal reflecting" had turned into me worrying about everything I had to do in the next few days. I got off the train, dropped my laptop off at the apartment to charge, and quickly changed before going out to meet everyone for drinks. When I got to the bar, everyone except Chris was already waiting for me, drinks in hand. Carla smiled when she saw me, and pushed a cocktail towards me as I sat down.