An Unexpected Ally

"Is there anything else I can get you? Some more coffee maybe?" I asked Mrs. De Luca as I took her half-empty plate from the table.

"No thanks, Alma. I'm just not feeling my best today, that's all," she sighed.

"I'm sorry," I frowned sympathetically, "why don't you go home and get some rest?"

"Don't be silly," Mrs. De Luca waved me off as she dug a twenty out of her pocket and tossed it on the table next to her check. "The Lord doesn't rest, and neither do I, so I'll just be heading to church. Keep the change, doll." She smiled as she stood up from her booth.

"Okay, thanks," I smiled back, "Have a nice day, Mrs. De Luca."

"You too, Alma," she gave a small wave as she walked out the door. I went to the back with her dishes, and caught Laurie making a pot of coffee.

"Hey, Alma, could you take table four?" she muttered, barely looking up from the coffee pot. "It's a busy morning."

"Sure," I chirped, "is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything's fine." Laurie straightened herself up, sweeping a strand of her long, auburn hair behind her ear. "Just tired."

"Okay, just checking," I smiled awkwardly before heading back out the door. As I entered the dining room, I stopped to notice all the customers crowded at the tables and lined up by the front door. The two other servers who were on paced around frantically, desperately getting everyone seated and taking orders faster than their pens could move across their notepads. I took a deep breath; Laurie was right, it was busy. I grabbed my notepad out of my apron pocket and headed over to table four. I stopped short when I saw Mrs. K seated by the window, chatting happily across the table with Mr. Miller. His back was turned to me, but I recognized him instantly from the way his hair sprung up wildly from his head, and the way he was leaned over the table, the same way he sat at his desk in school.

"Alma!" Mrs. K caught my eye and waved me to the table. Mr. Miller turned around and waved as he saw me scurry over.

"Hi, Alma," he smiled, straightening his red bowtie, "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing good, thanks," I said, flustered as I took my pen out from behind my ear.

"Actually," Mr. Miller raised a finger and I groaned, as I knew what was coming. Nevertheless, he continued, a smug look upon his face. "Superman does good. What you should've said, is that you are doing well."

"Actually," I clicked my pen open, "I should've said I was doing well, past tense, thanks to you," I said, smirking sarcastically.

"Ouch!" Mr. Miller put a hand over his chest, feigning offense. "That's coming out of your tip, ma'am," he said in a snarky tone, while pushing his glasses up with his thumb.

"Matthew, stop it!" Mrs. K reached across the table and slapped him lightly on the shoulder before turning to me. "Glad you're doing well, Alma," she grinned.

"Thanks, Mrs. K. What brings you two here?"

"We're going to the opening of that new book store around the corner and we thought we'd stop by for a cup of coffee on the way!" said Mrs. K.

"Oh that's nice," I paused. "Was it you who got Mr. Miller hooked on coffee over the summer?" I raised my eyebrows and Mrs. K laughed.

"I'm afraid so," she said guiltily before perking up, "I'll take mine with cream and sugar," she added.

"Of course," I nodded, "So cream and sugar for you, and," I turned to Mr. Miller, "two Splenda for you." I clicked my pen shut and tucked it back behind my ear.