august 4th, 2017

[you]
✧✧✧
Your hair flew in your face as you raced down the interstate. The window was rolled down, and your head rested on your hands as you stared out at the passing trees.

"There's, like, nothing here!" Tyler shouted over the noise of the air blowing into the car through the window.

You lifted you head and twisted to look at him. "What do you expect? This is Ohio!" He laughed. You rolled your eyes. "City boy."

The drive was three hours, and you had started out driving, but Tyler insisted on switching out when he saw that your eyelids were beginning to droop. You had then taken a nap, but now you were wide awake again.

"Hey, how much longer until we get there?" Tyler asked as I rolled up the window.

You grinned as the trees broke away to a farmhouse, and after the farmhouse was a post office. Beyond that, a town. "We're already here."

He blinked, confused. "We were just—"

"Yeah, it comes out of nowhere," you laughed. "Anyway, take a right here." You were stopped in front of a stop sign at an intersection. Around you were all sorts of buildings packed tightly together. It was a crazy contrast to the trees you had just emerged from. Tyler flicked on the blinker, turning right. "My house is the one on the very end of this street."

Soon, you pulled into your driveway for the first time in almost seven months. You raced out of the car, throwing open the front door.

"Mom! Dad! I'm home!"

A face peeked around the wall separating the dining room from the entry way. "[y/n]? You're home!" Your mom raced up to you and wrapped you in a hug. "Oh, why didn't you tell me you were coming?" She pulled you away to inspect your face. To make sure you were alright.

You grinned sheepishly. "I wanted it to be a surprise." She beamed at you and pulled you into another tight hug.

"And who's this?" your dad inquired as Josh and Tyler walked through the door. You broke away and looked at them, turning back to your parents.

"This is Tyler and Josh, remember? You met them six-ish years ago—"

"Oh, yes, I remember," your mom smiled sweetly.

"—We lost touch, but we recently met again. We're here to go camping."

"Oh, that sounds like so much fun!" your mom beamed at them. "Now, I'm sure you guys are hungry..."

You all went into the kitchen and your mom began to throw together her classic homemade cherry bars. You and her caught up, and she asked about how the boys were doing.

"We're still in a band," Josh explained. "It kind of took off, we have a bigger audience than we ever thought we'd have."

"Julie, you don't understand, they're huge," Justice informed her with wide eyes. "Sold out arenas, paparazzi... They're like, celebrities now." They looked at each other and chuckled.

Your mom smiled. "It brings me joy when people are able to make a living from doing what they love."

Tyler laughed. "I absolute adore what we do."

You found yourself smiling at him, a warm feeling blossoming in your chest. He looked at you and smiled back. Your heart fluttered a bit, but you ignored it and looked back at your mom.

She grinned as the oven timer went off, then whipped around and pulled on her oven mitts. She lifted a big pan of cherry bars out of the oven. Tyler looked at me, eyes wide. "That smells so good." He looked at me. "Can you cook like your mom does?"

Justice snorted, nearly spitting all over us. "[y/n] would burn the house down just by trying to boil water." You hung your mouth open, about to protest.

"It's true," your mom nodded.

"Hey!" you pouted. "I can make mac and cheese!"

Justice patted you on the shoulder. "It's okay [y/n]. Not everyone is gifted with the knowledge of food," she comforted, "especially not you," she added under her breath.

"Hey!" You slapped her hand away. Everyone else laughed.

You all were served delicious cherry bars and ate them happily, chatting about what you were going to do when you went camping.

"Are we going to go tonight? It's already dark out," Josh commented, looking outside through your sliding glass window in the kitchen.

"You guys can stay here for tonight. The boys can have the guest room and you ladies can sleep in the living room," your mother offered.

Justice nodded. "Sounds good. We'll go tomorrow morning after breakfast." She paused. "Ooo, can we take the canoe?"

Your mom chuckled. "Of course you can. Just be sure not to sink it. That's our last one. Dean would be furious if he couldn't go fishing out on the lake."

You could hear your father's grunt from the living room, where he was watching baseball.

You shook your head and grinned. It felt like you were back in high school again, going out to have fun with your friends in the forest. You felt so nostalgic.

"Well," you said, picking up your plate and tossing it into the trash bin, "I think I'm going to take a shower and get ready for bed."

Justice nodded, standing up with you. She let out a big yawn. "Yeah. I'm real tired."

Then the boys stood, and you led them to the guest room. Justice went to brush her teeth, but you hung back for a second. Tyler leaned against the doorframe.

"Let me know if you need anything," you grinned. He blushed.

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow, then," he smiled back.

You nodded, starting to walk away. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

You turned around after a moment, and Tyler's head was peaked out of the door, looking at you. He smiled, his eyes crinkling up with happiness. It was like he was radiating pure sunshine.

As he closed the door, your heart did that weird fluttering thing again.

You couldn't wait to see him again tomorrow morning.
✧✧✧