august 5th, 2017

[you]
✧✧✧
Flickers of light danced across your retinas as you gazed at the fire. You held out a long metal stick, and on the end was a marshmallow. You waited until it caught fire, then you quickly whipped it away and blew on it to extinguish the flames. You delicately placed it on an Oreo with a piece of Hershey's chocolate and sandwiched it between another Oreo, sliding out the metal.

"And this is what heaven is," you grinned, taking a small bite.

Tyler's nose crinkled up and he furrowed his brow. "You burn your marshmallows? That's disgusting."

You leaned back in your chair, offended. "Excuse me. Your 'toasted brown' marshmallows are pathetic. You take a bite and it's not even properly melted! It's way easier to burn it."

Justice shook her head. "Tyler's right on this one, [y/n]. Burnt marshmallows are nasty."

We all turned to look at Josh. He shrugged. "A marshmallow is a marshmallow."

Tyler sighed in disgust. You grinned, trying not to laugh.

"So what do you guys want to do? What's typical for a camping trip?" Tyler wondered aloud.

You and Justice immediately made eye contact, smirking. Josh looked at you nervously. "I don't like that look."

"When we were in high school," Justice explained, "we used to do this all the time." You nodded along. "And we used to play truth or dare around the campfire."

Tyler raised an eyebrow. "Are people over eighteen even allowed to play truth or dare?"

You scoffed at him. "Come on, don't be a fun hater. It's a tradition, and we're going to follow it."

Josh grinned. "I'm down."

Tyler shook his head. "You're all a bunch of sixteen year olds."

Justice pursed her lips. "Correction: we're all a bunch of sixteen year olds. You can't get out of this, Tyler."

"Are you scared of something?" you added, raising an eyebrow.

Tyler crinkled up his nose. "Of course I am. You guys might make me reveal my deepest darkest secrets. Or you might make me throw my Nikes into the campfire. There's a whole list of things I'm afraid could happen."

"Don't give us any ideas," Josh snickered. Tyler threw him a glare, but he sighed.

"Fine. I guess I'll play."

You all cheered and laughed together as he hunched over, defeated.

"So usually we say that the person with the most expensive shoes goes first," Justice informed.

Josh cocked an eyebrow. "That's a little strange."

You shrugged. "So go around the circle and say what your shoes are and how much they cost." You glanced down at yours. "Mine are Crocs. Twenty-five dollars."

Josh was next. He looked down. "Adidas. Eighty."

"Nikes. Seventy-five," said Tyler.

"Dunno the brand, but I got them at Goodwill and they were three dollars," Justice said, gazing at her black slides.

We all looked at Josh. He looked like a deer in the headlights. You shrugged. "This is your reward for being rich and successful," you informed.

He sighed. "Okay...uh, Tyler. Truth or dare."

Tyler began to protest. "You can't do that! Don't pick me first!" He whined like a two year old. You couldn't help but giggle.

Justice shook her head. "He did. Now answer the question. Truth or dare." She said it very seriously, not even batting an eyelash. He gulped.