august 8th, 2017

[tyler]
✧✧✧
The sound of slamming echoed in my ears as I stared at the door.

I'd been there for at least thirty minutes, my mind blanking. I couldn't believe what had just happened.

I finally tore my eyes away from the scene and snatched up my phone, looking at the time. 7:32. I immediately called Josh.

He immediately picked up.

"Something went wrong," he said right away. I squeaked in response. "What happened?" he inquired, concern in his voice.

"I...I..." I trailed off. The line went silent for a while.

"...Do you need me to come over?" Josh asked.

"Yeah," I replied.

And with that, Josh hung up. I placed my phone on the table and sat down on a chair, leaning my forehead into my palms, staring down at the mahogany wood. I massaged my temples with my fingers. Stupid, I thought. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I took a deep breath in, and then let it out. In. Out. In. Out.

And then Josh arrived.

He timidly opened the door, peeking inside. When he saw me, he came inside, sitting down next to me. I lifted my head to look at him.

"Ty, what happened? Did she say no?" he asked softly.

"No..." I mumbled. At this point, I was too embarrassed to say what happened. Josh was going to be annoyed. "I..." I shook my head. "...am an idiot."

Josh raised an eyebrow. "Huh?" I shook my head again, looking down. Josh sighed softly. "Ty, what happened?"

I told him.

His eyes widened. "Tyler, you are an idiot," he said, all traces of gentleness gone from his voice.

I nodded. "I know."

He shook his head, and a small laugh managed to escape. I could tell he was having trouble holding it in. "I'd like to offer you a job," he said in a mocking voice.

"Josh, this is not a laughing matter!" I said, shoving him.

He managed to keep his giggles at bay. "Okay, okay. You're telling me that after hyping you up and pushing you to do this for weeks, and you finally had the PERFECT opportunity, all you tell her is that you want to offer her a job?"

I nodded, feeling shame. I was the biggest idiot.

"And Tyler, you totally set her up. Inviting her over, just the two of you, 'I've always thought you were pretty,' Ty, no wonder she stormed out like that! You can't do that! That's literally, like, dating 101." He was forcing himself not to smile.

"I—I know, I just... I was just so nervous, and I didn't want to mess anything up, and—"

"Listen, we need a game plan," Josh interrupted.

"I—"

"First off, you need to apologize."

"Well—"

"Then you need to tell her what you actually meant to say, and explain that you were nervous."

"When?"

Josh shrugged. "Whenever it feels right."

I nodded.

Josh sighed. "I know I just told you exactly what to do, but as far as everything else, I'm not going to hold your hand through it. But I know you can do it."

I nodded.

He stood, holding out a hand to help me up. I grabbed it.

"Now go out there and get the girl."
✧✧✧