august 6th, 2017

[tyler]
✧✧✧
I was shaking on the way home.

Over and over in my head, I went through what I would do, what I would say.

"Hey, [y/n], I was wondering if you wanted to go out for dinner on Tuesday? I would like to talk to you about something."

No, no, that was dumb. That would just stress her out. She'd wonder what it was that we needed to talk about for two days. That couldn't happen.

I absent-mindedly let out a small groan as I stared out the window at the passing trees.

"Hey, [y/n], I was wondering if you wanted to hang out on Tuesday. We could grab dinner or something."

No, too casual. It would be easy to shoot that down. I needed her to talk to me, she needed to know that it was important.

"Hey, [y/n], are you free on Tuesday? I was thinking we could hang out and talk about some things that are on my mind."

I shook my head. That was dumb too. I'd never be able to figure out a good way to ask.

But before I knew it, she was dropping me off at my house, and I knew I'd run out of time.

Whatever, I could call her. Right?

I paced by my phone, which was lying face up on the counter, for thirty minutes, rehearsing what I'd say.

"Hey, want to grab dinner on Tuesday? No, no, stupid, stupid, stupid," I muttered. "[y/n]! I know we just got done hanging out, but I was wondering if you wanted to go to dinner on Tuesday. Just to hang out or something." I huffed. "No! Dumb!"

Suddenly, a loud marimba noise went off and I nearly jumped out of my skin, terrified. I looked at my ringing phone.

[y/n].

"No,nonononono." I shook my head. "Not readyyyyyy."

Nevertheless, I picked up, clearing my voice and saying, "[y/n]! What's up?"

"Nothing much," she replied. "But you left your toothpaste in the car. Want me to bring it over? Or —"

"No, no, you don't have to go to all that trouble. I'll come pick it up later."

"Yeah, okay then. Sounds good."

"Sounds good," I repeated, at a loss for words.

Come on, idiot, just ask her! I thought.

"So, see you la—"

"Wait!" I called out, a little too desperately. I cringed at myself.

"Yeah?" she asked, confusion in her voice.

"Uh, listen... I was wondering if you wanted to go and get dinner on Tuesday night? Just to..." I thought of a reason. None came. "Just to hang out?" I cringed once more.

A pause. I held my breath.

"Sure!"

I exhaled, a grin on my face.

"Where and what time?" she inquired.

"Uh..." I'd spent so much time wondering what I was going to say, I didn't even think about it.

"My house? At seven? We could order pizza."

"Sounds great to me," she replied. "Alright, I guess I'll see you then."

"Yep!" I said as I hung up.

I let out a long sigh of relief.

Then my face broke out into a grin.

I did a happy dance around my kitchen.

"Success!!!!"
✧✧✧