Chapter III

III. The Reason

"We are here at the port, my lady. Dreadfort must be travelled by horseback or I'm sure you'd prefer a carriage." The captain said, about to gesture to one of his men.

"No, horses are fine. Have a horse ready for me, my things can follow but I must get to Dreadfort as fast as possible." Reau swiftly replied.

It wasn't like she didn't know how to ride, she could ride very well, in fact that's the only thing she liked to do in Braavos. Besides, her father said get to Dreadfort immediately and if she were to wait for a carriage it would be a waste of time.

"Very well, my lady."

While waiting for a horse to be readied, Reau looked at what she would be facing. The cold wasn't what she expected, the chill nipping at her cheeks.

Dreadfort was a day's ride from the port, not too far as long as she doesn't stop. By luck, she will get there before nightfall.

"Make sure my things aren't too far behind." She told her maid who nodded quickly. She would be riding with four of her guards and a scout was already sent ahead to inform her father of her arrival.

"My lady, your horse is ready for you." A voice said and she turned to see a light washed gray mare being led towards her.

Reau stepped forward to place her hand on the mare's forehead. Grabbing the reigns slowly, before heading to the horse's side to prepare to mount.

She mounted easily despite the dress she was wearing, after all, she had been taught to ride properly and to handle weapons properly by one of the swordsmen in Braavos.

A memory unexpectedly crept upon her but she shook her head, not wanting to remember things that she knew she should've left behind.

She smiled to herself sadly, remembering something else that was familiar in unfamiliar land. She turned her horse to the direction of Dreadfort.

"Well, here goes nothing."

~~~
Right before sundown, Reau finally reached Dreadfort. It was a tall structure, not exactly cozy but what did she expect, she was in the North. It wasn't exactly home sweet home, unfortunately this is it.

Dreadfort is a strong fortress, composed of high walls and triangular merlons that look like a set of sharp stone teeth of a giant. It had thick stone walls and massive towers, towering over her as she shivered in response.

The gates opened with a clang of metal and Reau found herself cringing at the sound before she moved forward towards the pavilion. As she passed, people stopped in their work to stare.

"That's the golden girl of Lord Bolton." They whispered to one another. "Pretty little thing isn't she? No wonder he hid her away." Another hush of whispers came.

Nevertheless, Reau still kept her head held high until she reached where her father was waiting. It wasn't hard to miss him and recognize him, she knew what he looked like.

She dismounted from her horse before stepping forward to meet her father.

"Father." Reau greeted, unsure of how to address him as she bowed her head.

"Daughter." Lord Bolton said, his voice deep although slightly softening as he saw his only daughter. He was startled for a moment as he seemed to see his dead wife in her.

He wrapped his arms around her stiffly as if the contact was hurting him. She hugged him back, still unsure with how to act.

"You look just like your mother. I want you to meet your half brother, Ramsay." Roose said, immediately after he hugged her.

Ramsay looked at her as if seeing her there gave him more joy than anything, quite frankly, it terrified her.

"Sister." He greeted happily, immediately pulling her into his arms and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Brother, I'm so glad to finally have met you." She replied, putting on the act she had learned.

Despite being around her own blood, she knew she was surrounded by strangers here and if she was taught anything, she was taught not to trust easily or even anyone at all.

"Come, we have a lot to talk about." Roose said, swiftly towards the fortress with Reau in tow.

She could still feel Ramsay's gaze on her and it made her shiver with fear. There was something about him that didn't sit well with her and she didn't want to find out what it was.

~~~
"Robb Stark has called the banners."

That was the first thing that left her father's mouth when they were finally alone in his study.

"I don't understand, Father." Reau replied. How can such a thing concern her that he called her to Dreadfort after so many years.

"It means war is upon us and us Boltons need more than one alliance because when this war ends, we will have to have chosen the right side." Roose answered her, hoping she understood.

He knew what his daughter was capable of. Even if she was raised so far from him, he made sure that when the time came, his daughter would be more than just a pretty face, created for sewing. She would be his weapon.

"And you plan to do this with me? Though I am afraid I am unsure how." She questioned. She knew what he was trying to say. She had learned about the rivalry between Starks and Boltons all her life and she suspected that this rivalry has just been kept hidden but not truly extinguished.

It seems she had been right even if she did not want to be.

"I will take you with me when we ride with the North. Your job is to get close to Robb Stark. Get him to trust you, be his friend so when the war is ended and victory is his, we will have gained an upper hand in the North." He said, clearing up the reason why he wanted her there.

He didn't want her there because he missed her. He wanted her there because he finally found use for his beautiful daughter. After all this, he meant for her to marry a highborn and she will. Just after she makes sure that the side they will choose will be the side that wins.

"And if the Lannisters win, what then?" She found herself asking, she did not know where her father meant to take this.

"Then I will ensure that you will be the reason why they win."