Chapter XXXIV

XXXIV. Cold numbing pain

Dawn approaches as the battle reached its end. It was a victory, as everyone had said and for that, Reau was thankful.

If they had suffered a defeat with this lot, it would have been a shame. Even with the throbbing ankle, she was grateful that things were not worse.

She looked around, looking for Titus when she finally spotted him. Reau turned her horse to his direction, despite the canter of the horse making it much more painful.

"Hey. Are you ready to head back?" Titus asked, smiling.

Reau attempted to smile through the pain, adjusting her seat on the saddle when she accidentally placed pressure on her ankle, falling off the horse with a loud cry.

"Reau!" Titus cried out, worried that she may have been struck somewhere. He slid down his horse, coming to her side immediately. He checked for wounds and blood then his gaze drifted to her ankle.

He tried to touch it when Reau winced. "Ow, don't do that."

"Your ankle is in pain. Let me see." He said, reaching for her ankle again but she slapped his hands away.

"No! I can do it, I just need to stand first." She said, readying herself to stand. She didn't need Titus doing it for her.

"That makes no sense at all. How can you check if it's broken if you're standing?" He demanded, knowing that she was just stalling for time.

"I don't know but I will." Reau said, trying to stand before she gave up and landed on the ground once again with a loud cry of pain.

"Very well, you asked for this." Titus let out a frustrated sigh before shouting. "Healer! Someone please! I need a healer over here!"

Reau glared at him furiously but she had no chance to get away from it when an old woman ran over to them, checking her for wounds.

"It's her ankle that's injured." Titus said, attempting to help. He only realized his mistake too late, his eyes widening.

"Her ankle?" The healer turned to Reau and looking closer, she saw her face was in fact a woman's. "Milady, I'm going to have to remove your boot."

"That won't be necessary, I can easily just walk it off an-" Reau attempted to say before she was met by a pain so severe, she cried out in pain.

As the boot was removed, her pale ankle was in view and it was clear that it was covered in a big bruise.

"I'm going to have to move it around a bit, milady." The healer said, moving to start examining her leg when Reau attempted to stand up on her other foot, wincing.

"Reau, sit down." Titus commanded, holding her down but she only struggled.

"No, Titus. We have to go now, there's too many people." Reau answered back but he only her down even more.

The healer helped him as well as she tried to escape but they both struggled as Reau resulted to thrashing around like a mad man, or a mad woman.

"What are you two doing? Can you not see how many people are already here?" Reau looked at the healer. "You. Go to the other soldiers, I will be fine."

However, though Reau wanted to avoid attention, the result of her thrashing only attracted the attention of the one person she was trying to avoid.

Suddenly it was not just Titus and the healer holding her down when another pair of hands held down her leg. Reau turned to face the soldier touching her leg only to be met by familiar ice blue eyes.