Chapter XI

XI. The Night Before

The night had ended with the two going their separate ways, both completely drenched and both with a permanent smile etched on their young faces.

With promises of meeting each other again the next day, they headed off to their tents. However it would just happen that they would be moving the next day, leaving behind their little haven.

Reau had awoken after a terrible nightmare, once again about a golden haired woman and a green-eyed man, together in a castle which ends in screams and blood.

She had been left speechless and shocked by it all as she broke her fast in her tent alone quickly since she had been informed earlier that they were to head to the Twins to seek passage and assistance from Lord Frey.

From what she heard, Lord Frey was a sickly old man, not in terms of ill but sick in the way that he was not right in the head but the Twins was their only passage to the South.

After putting on a simple dress for formalities, as her father so kindly put it, she headed outside with her bags packed to prepare Sambrar for the road.

She was once again accompanied by Ser Titus Reyland, her guard who came all the way from Braavos to accompany her. His heart belonged to Fauna but he wanted to set his duty first before all else. He had always been a bit overprotective, thinking of Reau as his little sister.

"Where were you last night?" Titus asked Reau as they walked to her horse.

"What do you mean? I never left my tent." She replied nonchalantly. No doubt her father would love her little adventures with Robb but Titus was a bit wary of people.

"Not true. I checked on you to see if you wanted supper and when I did, you weren't there. All I saw was your weird weed sewing." He protested, serious at first but upon mentioning the weed, started to laugh.

Reau turned back with a glare. "It is not a weed! It's a flower!"

"Whatever you say, m'lady. But you still haven't explained where you have gone." He said, planting his feet on the ground, his arms crossed.

Reau knew that whatever she said would be rebuked by Titus so telling the truth wouldn't be so bad, after all, what was the worst he could do?

"If you must know, I was out with someone." She answered, crossing her arms as well.

"Someone? Who? One of the soldiers? Reau, you know that you can't just do that. Have you forgotten what happened in Braavos, that boy tha-" He tried saying.

"I know. I learned from my mistake! Titus, you don't understand! It's different this time. He's different." She cut him off, defending Robb.

"How can he possibly be different? Who is he anyway?" Titus asked.

"Robb Stark!" Reau exclaimed, turning around to walk away, not wanting to deal with Titus.

She had gotten to Sambrar when she got spun around again.

"I know what you're going to say. That I should stop seeing him and doing all these things but you don't understand, Titus. He's not what you heard, he's more than that. I know that I don't get the privilege to decide but this is something else, this is more than duty. This is my choice and I don't intend to regret it." She said, ending with a breath, not a single trace of anger, just pure and utter truth.

Screw what her father wants.

Even Titus could not disagree with it. After all, Fauna was his choice as well and if Reau wanted this then so be it. She is not a doll to play with, she is a person with choices and if he could, he would support her in it.

"Very well. But next time, try not to disappear into thin air." Titus warned, placing a hand on her shoulder smiling.

Reau smiled at that. Titus was more of a brother than Domeric and Ramsay.

"No promises."

{~~~~~~}

Robb was in his tent, his armor fastened and his sword sheathed when his mother came in.

"Mother." He greeted as Catelyn Stark wrapped her arms around him.

"Robb, I trust that you slept well." She said, as she looked at him, seeing the fine man he had grown into.

"Aye, I did." He answered, trying to keep the smile from growing on his lips.

To tell the truth, he had returned to his tent, freezing and even after changing into warm clothes, the events of the night had stayed with him.

The chill of the water and the feeling of Reau's hands on his chest could not easily be erased by a change of clothing.

"What is it?" Catelyn asked, seeing an odd look in her son's eyes.

"Nothing. I was just thinking about what we have to do today." Robb replied, his mind shifting towards crossing the Twins.

He exited the tent with Catelyn and went to his horse, passing men who bowed their heads in respect to him, the man leading them.

The campsite they had stayed in was no more as everything and everyone was packed and was ready to go, at his command.

Robb looked over the banners around him, until he saw the sigil of the flayed man and familiar golden hair.

Frost met gold as their eyes locked at that second. She smiled at him, a mischievous smile as if its intent was to remind him of their adventure and at that, he found himself smiling as well, before guiding his horse to begin their journey.

Little did he know that their exchange didn't go as unnoticed as they thought it did.