Chapter XVI

XVI. The Heart of a Wolf

The moment Reau awoke, she knew that Robb had already gone, even before her eyes had flickered open. Her hand, outstretched across the bed felt nothing but the empty mattress, not the fingers holding her own the night before.

She sat up, chest heavy but quickly got ready for the day. If she wasn't mistaken, Robb would've been at the Whispering Wood already, preparing for the ambush on Jaime Lannister.

She knew that she would be going to wait at the edge of the field with Lady Stark and she would do so. After all, Robb had a promise to keep.

He would come back to her. He had to.

As she changed into a blue dress, one that now reminded her of Robb's eyes, her attention focused on a note at her desk.

It was nothing too big, just a small parchment and with it was a simple silver necklace, hanging from the chain was a pendant carved into a shape of a direwolf.

Reau immediately opened the piece of parchment to see Robb's neat handwriting. Leave it to the heir of Winterfell to be perfect in every way, it made Reau smile just thinking about it.

Dearest Reau,

By the time you've read this, I will have been gone. I did not wish to awaken you when I left but I wanted you to be assured that I will come back to you. I leave you this necklace in hopes that you will care for it while I am at battle.

Wear it for me so that a piece of myself may remain close to you while I am away. It would bring me comfort knowing that you were wearing it. I love you, Reau. Always remember that.

Forever yours,
Robb

It had been a comfort for Reau to know that the events of the night before had been real and not just a figment of her imagination.

Robb loves her and that was all that mattered.

She took the necklace and held it in her palm before hooking it around her neck. She enjoyed the feeling of the cold metal against her skin, and she did appreciate the fact that it hovered close to where her heart was.

~~~

Reau spent part of the day with Titus as she filled him in on the events that had happened. He was a little skeptical but seeing how happy Reau was, the glow in her shining through once more, he would give Robb Stark the benefit of the doubt.

"Did he give that to you?" Titus asked, saddling both of their horses to prepare for the ride ahead.

Reau looked down at the direwolf pendant, smiling in turn. "He did, as a promise that he will return."

"Well, he better keep that promise then." He said, preparing his sword in case of casualties during battle.

"Why must you be so negative all the time? It isn't good for you, you know. By the time Fauna sees you again, you would have wrinkles everywhere." Reau joked, laughing.

"Even with wrinkles, I assure you, I'd still have a dashing look." Titus joined in her jest.

Just as Reau was about to make a quick retort, she heard a throat being cleared behind her. Both her and Titus turned to be face to face with Lady Catelyn Stark and Ser Rodrik Cassel.

"Lady Bolton, forgive us for the intrusion but we just wanted to inform you that we are riding soon if you are still to join us." Ser Rodrik said to the young lady in front of him.