Chapter XVIII

XVIII. The Aftermath

"How have you been, father?" Reau asked Roose Bolton.

He was still in his armor, having had survived the altercation with Tywin Lannister. Leading the troops as a distraction, Reau thought that it would be a long shot if her father were to come back alive.

But he returned unharmed, according to plan.

"The victory Robb Stark have led us to, I must admit, I did not expect it." Roose answered, waiting on his daughter's reaction.

In return, she feigned a shocked face. "Was that a compliment, father?"

"For a boy, he did very well." That was his only reply.

"I agree. Defeating Jaime Lannister and tricking Tywin Lannister was quite a feat, wasn't it?" She asked, not wanting her father to continue on with his plans.

After her feelings were realized, she had wanted nothing to do with her father's plans. What other way would it be to avoid it by manipulating her father into thinking that Robb would be the winning party.

Her father narrowed his eyes. "Winning one battle does not make him a victor."

Reau shook her head, as if to dismiss the thought. "Yes, of course. I just-"

"May I suggest something, dear daughter?" He suddenly interrupted her.

"What is it, father?" She asked, a cold chill suddenly coming over her.

"Affections have no place in this war. Your first loyalty is your family. Do you understand?" He suddenly grabbed her chin roughly, making her look right at his glare.

She met his glare with a stare just as intense as his. Roose almost backed down, shocked to see the familiarity of the stare.

"I understand perfectly." Reau answered through gritted teeth.

"Good." Roose sneered, letting go of her chin.

"Anything else?" She questioned, rubbing her chin.

"Jaime Lannister. Get him to trust you. Know what you can. Can you do that without failure?" He commanded.

"Have I ever failed you?" That was her only reply, accompanied with a sneer that rivaled his own.

Their glares battled until they both heard footsteps approach.

"May I come in, my lady?" A familiar voice asked. Robb.

Roose cocked his head to the side, his face amused but his eyes showed a threat.

It took an ounce of strength in her to not let him get to her as she gulped yet still kept eye contact, not wanting to back down from the silent battle that was ensuing.

Reau kept her face emotionless as she called out. "Come in!"

Robb strode in, a comfortable smile on his face but upon seeing Roose Bolton's face and Reau's expression, he became serious.

"Have I interrupted something?" Robb asked, sensing the tense aura.

"No, my lord, I was just leaving." Roose said with a final look at Reau and leaving immediately.

Reau let out a sigh of relief at her father leaving before turning to Robb.

"Reau, are you al-oomph!" Robb exclaimed as she crashed into him, wrapping her arms tightly and burying her face into his chest.

He found himself chuckling, hugging her closer to him, basking in her presence that invoked the smell of lavender and honey.

"You came back." Reau whispered, her eyes closed, not thinking about anything else.

Because at that moment nothing else mattered.

{~~~~~~}

Robb drew back to look at her as she blinked open her eyes to reveal the amber-like eyes he loved so much.

"I promised, didn't I?" He spoke softly, placing his hand upon her cheek.

Reau smiled, taking his hands in hers and looking down upon them, she saw that they were bruised and scarred. A sign of a hard fought battle.

Instead of shying from his scars like Robb expected her to do, she lifted his hands to her lips and placed the softest of kisses upon his scarred knuckles.

Her kisses left a trail of heat, spreading from his hands to the rest of his body. He felt as if he was being burned just by the feel of her soft lips.

Robb couldn't help himself as he placed a chaste kiss upon Reau's lips, surprising her. His hands cupping her neck as he did so, feeling the familiar silver chain of the direwolf necklace he had given her and pulling it free to reveal it to him.

Puling away, he looked down upon it, smiling as he saw the contrast of her golden hair to the silver of the chain and the pendant.

"It suits you very well."

He carefully tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear, making her shiver at his touch.

Reau's surprised expression made Robb laugh, catching her off guard. His amusement did not prohibit him to expect what happened next.

Reau leaned forward pressing her lips upon his, savoring every second of it as their lips danced to the slowest of songs. Her hands strayed to his neck as his ventured from her neck to her waist.

It didn't hold the same desperation and longing as it did the first time they had kissed. It did not speak of a goodbye nor a farewell. It was slow and calm. It was as sweet as the dew falling in the morning.

This time they did not have the threat of a battle the next day and their minds were not occupied by the thought of not seeing the other again.

The kiss they shared at that moment held hope and sweetness. It held every word they could not so easily shout out to the world. It held more affection than anything either have felt before.

It was as if through the kiss they were both trying to say they had time. They had moments for this, for solace, for calm, for love.

If only it were true that they had all the time in the world. Perhaps things would've been different.

But no one could have expected the upcoming tragedy.