Chapter XIV

XIV. Formality

It had been a few days since they had last spoken. Reau had resigned herself to staying at her tent, not wanting to see the boy she had foolishly fallen for.

Reau's only company had been Titus for she wished to see no one else. She wished for Fauna's company, to have someone comfort her like a sister but she was in Braavos while Reau was in a war camp.

Titus, of course treated her as a brother would, but sometimes, that was not enough. Her father tolerated her but it is not as if she can talk to him about that. Her mother was dead when she bore Reau into this world, Domeric was dead and Ramsay was a full on arse. Robb, where would she even begin with him?

They had been talking in her tent and Titus must have noticed her expression falling.

"Please don't be upset, Reau. He's a foul git and you deserve better." Titus tried comforting her but it did very little.

"Like who? My future husband who will probably be a fat drunk lord who is twice my age?" She asked, emotionless.

Titus sighed, feeling so useless in helping his best friend. "You don't know that."

"I'm so idiotic, Ty. I've always known that I was never meant to marry for love and yet I fought Robb even if I would probably face the same thing. How different am I from him? I just- I really thought that me and Robb, that we would be different." She said, her heart aching once again. 

"Not everyone can achieve happiness immediately. Who knows what the gods are trying to do? Maybe this is for the best." Titus tried once again.

Reau met his eyes, making him see her despair as clear as day. "I've been born into what many see as a privilege but ever since I was born I have never been free to do as I wish. A gold prison but a prison just the same."

Titus pulled her into his arms, embracing her since his words didn't seem to do much in comforting her. Then that's when he got an idea.

"Get your sword. Let's spar. We haven't done that in a while." He suggested.

"Right now? But isn't the army leaving tomorrow? Shouldn't you prepare to join them?" Reau questions.

"If you think I'm going to join the young wolf to fight Jaime Lannister then you're wrong. Do you really think I would leave you alone? Besides your father told me to guard you when you accompany the majority of the army to Riverrun. He told me before he went of to fight the other Lannister." Titus explains, standing up and stretching himself.

"Guess you'll have to be prepared to lose then." She answers, finally showing a hint of her old mischievous self.

"Only one way to find out if you're right."

~~~

Reau got her sword out as Titus waited outside. Already changed out of her gown and into her army blending attire, she unsheathed her sword from its scabbard, looking at the words carved on the blade.

"Muña's jorrāelagon. Kepa's destruction."

Valyrian words for a girl who couldn't even understand why it was so important as to get carved onto a blade.

Shaking such questions from her head, Reau sheathed her sword once more before heading outside to see Titus pacing.

"No armor. No blunt blades." Reau announced, laughing slightly as Titus jumped in surprise.

"Whatever you say, milady. Just be careful with where that blade's going." Titus said, warily watching her sword.

"Don't worry, I won't cut off any parts you might need in the future. Besides, we can always just stop anytime." She replied, smiling as Titus got into formation, sword drawn as well.

For a second, they just eyed each other, breathing. Then Titus charged sword pointed immediately at her torso. Reau reacted quickly, dodging the blade and moving towards his back, intending to strike.

Titus read her moves from all the times they have sparred together and turned to face her immediately, their swords crashing hard upon impact.

All that was heard from them were the clashing of steel and the heavy breathing of the two, some men from the camp stopped and watched the two, even placing bets on who will win.

Almost all placed their bets on Titus, seeing as he was the bigger, stronger man but they were instantly dismayed as Reau sent out a powerful kick at Titus's legs, making him fall flat on the ground.

She kicked at his sword to make sure he couldn't reach for it and pointed her sword at his throat, claiming the victory.

"I told you I would win." She said, breathing heavily, laughing softly as she heard the groans of the men who bet against her.

Titus was about to make a snark remark when he turned to look at the side, his gaze falling upon Robb Stark who had seen the whole match.

"Return to your duties. We're heading to battle tomorrow. Best be ready." Robb commanded to the men as they all dispersed.

Unwillingly, Reau met Robb's eyes as the latter looked at her with a broken expression.

Reau looked away not wanting to see any more of his beautiful pained eyes. After all, he was the one who pushed her away, he was the one who hurt her. Why would he have the need to look at her like that?

Little did she know that his eyes were filled with the words he couldn't say. The words that would have brought them both to tears.

The words that contained a goodbye.

\|\|\|
A/N
François Arnaud as Ser Titus Reyland. Hope you're enjoying the story! Make sure to vote and comment what you think.